Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What brand 2-stroke oil should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What brand 2-stroke oil should I use?

Hello,
I just bought a '98 Trail Blazer 250 and was wondering if I have to use the Polaris brand 2-stroke oil or if I could get by with off brand stuff. I don't mind buying the Polaris brand if I have to but would rather go with something less expensive like Castrol 2T. Also, do I have to use a synthetic blend or can it be regular? What is your opinion?

Thanks,
Roger

Old 05-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

I use Yamaha 2 stroke oil - only cuz it what they had - it doesnt use much so I havent bought any in 3 years

Old 05-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Doesn't have to be the Polaris brand. Just use a good quality one.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i used the 2 stroke synth. in ours and seem to have less smell and smoke. it was the polris gold i do beleave. i presonally dont think castrol is a good brand to use but thats just me.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Didn't they change the gold back to blue? I know they did some type of change on the containers only.

Can't remember, last time I bought two bottles (2 years ago) and haven't used it all yet.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea im not sure myself since it was a few yrs ago. its the syn. still though isnt it?

Old 05-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know who makes the oil for Polaris, but I'm a very firm believer in it for 2 main reasons.

1st being I witnessed first hand it being (Polaris 2-stroke) poured onto a bearing load tester & even at maximum PSI, which I think was 20,000 PSI, the bearing kept spinning. The person doing the test was a rep. from Shaffers Oil & told us students to bring in our choice of oil from home & another guy in my class brought his snowmobile oil which was Polaris. This was about 12 yrs. ago now, and was the Polaris mineral "blue". The Shaffers rep. was dumbfounded & wanted to know what brand this was because he had previously never had any type of oil be able to withstand the full pressure of the press, even Shaffers which failed at about 18,000 PSI.

2nd being my snowmobile that had 5,000+ miles on it when the head O-Rings started to weep. So, I pulled the head off to replace the O-Rings & took notice to how the cross-hatching was still on the cylinders with not even the faintest scuff on the cylinders or pistons. This was an XC600 Polaris sled that had nothing but Polaris VES Gold used in it for its entire life.

So, think about it, 5,000+ miles averaging 7,000 rpms & not a scuff. Polaris oil is good $hit.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the info. After reading your posts, I will probably stick with the Polaris oil. The bottle I bought the other day was blue colored. I don't think it was the Polaris gold but it is part synthetic.

Roger

Old 05-18-2007, 12:30 AM

i run amsoil in mi tb for about 2 years now i ran it in mi xlt (sten knows about that pos) i dont see much diffrence in the 2 oils the amsoil is synth. and burns good from what i have seen

Old 05-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Trailblazer

Just to add another point to the topic. I am using Spectro syntetic. I think all quality oils are pretty much the same but I can say one thng I notice aout my Spectro oil, it doesn't smoke at all. It smokes so little I would almost think the oil pump isn't working. I also suggest you look to make sure whatever oil you use that it is NOT a TCW3 oil.

Quick Reply: What brand 2-stroke oil should I use?