Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Could Slush freeze around rear CV Joints tearing boots?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2000, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody run across this phenomenon yet? You drive through 1 foot of snow and it packs in everywhere under the rear end of the quad. You park it and enjoy the great outdoors during a smoke break or whatever. While you are stopped the temperature freezes the snow and slush into ice around your rear CV boots. Unaware that your drive train is frozen you start it up take off and tear a boot.

Has this happened to anybody yet?

Old 12-28-2000, 08:54 PM
Range Rover

Nope. I quit smoking before winter started. I just keep going so that I might out run the urge to smoke. But I might take it back up just to see.

KD

Old 12-29-2000, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Never have hade that happen But there is always a first time

Old 12-30-2000, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer

Yep! I know exactly what you are talking about. I just don't stop for long and when I get home, I have to park in a slightly heated garage to let it all melt off. If it gets really bad, the whole quad will freeze up and it won't even move. Just try to melt it off if you can or at least park it somewhere where the temp is high enough to stop it from freezing.

Old 12-31-2000, 12:21 AM
Range Rover

i guess that is why polaris sells snowmobiles.

Old 12-31-2000, 02:52 AM
Trailblazer

I have had mud packed around my cv joint and have had that freeze. It then snapped the metal band off towards the inside of the hub exposing the joint. So you do need to watch for that.

Old 12-31-2000, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Thor, on whose bike did this happen? Surely not yours, and Odin (btw, his new handle is Olaf, he’ll have to explain it to you) hasn’t mentioned anything like that happening to his. Is this a hypothetical?

If this has happened, and it seems from the responses it has, then I’ve been very lucky. My wife and I have long been veterans of snow and ice packed machines from winter riding and between us we’ve had a total of 4 machines with rear CVs since Polaris switched from u-joints. Our riding style is to stop often and enjoy the scenery, sometimes for an hour or more around a fire, and we’ve never experienced this problem. Even with a slim probability of it happening I’d say it bears keeping in mind though.

Trending Topics

Old 12-31-2000, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the pics. they are very nice,you seem to have beautiful riding area and a nice place to live.

Old 12-31-2000, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer

hey floodrunner,,
i know this is off the subject,,
but when you were by wren falls as i see in your pix,, where did u camp,, what was the name of the place? were the trails accessible from there (legally)or did u need to trailer,,
i have always wanted to camp on the trails but i could never find a campground to camp at,
thanks for your help

Old 12-31-2000, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

The pix were taken in Iron County where we almost exclusively ride. 70% of the county is public land and it’s legal to just pitch a tent and camp there. It’s unimproved wilderness camping so proper preparation and bear protection/precautions are necessities to be comfortable and safe.

Quick Reply: Could Slush freeze around rear CV Joints tearing boots?