Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brake life?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake life?

What is the average lifetime for a set of brakes in miles or hours? My 800 only has about 350 miles on it and I am in need of brakes. Just wondering where I am at compared to the ballpark average. The front brakes seem to be dragging. I tried a search and think that I may try to remove the pads and clean them up. Any recommendations for replacements? Thanks.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brake life?

most of it depends on the riding condtions you ride in and the debre that you go thru like dirt and mud. i have 720 miles and plenty of pad left.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake life?

I have over 1200 miles on my 450 2006 model.........no issue yet!!!!..........I just let off the throttle most of the time to slow down .........The belt-drive system helps alot on the wear on the pads...........I am sure E.B.S. would even help the life of the brakes alot more.........Caper..........

Are the Polaris brake pads costly????..........

Old 06-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default Brake life?

well dont put oem pads back on. use like ebc ones that last longer and are cheaper to buy. ebs does help alot on my bike vs. the wifes 450.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default Brake life?

I haven't convinced myself that I don't have another issue here. The brakes don't drag a little bit, they rub all of the way around the rotors.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:39 AM
Trailblazer
Default Brake life?

well, if they are rubbing the whole time, then they willl wear out faster than normal, after you change them make sure you bleed the lines, to start over with even pressure on the rotors,

Old 06-18-2007, 07:17 AM
Range Rover
Default Brake life?

I have never replaced the brakes on a quad and I am on Polaris #2. 500 Magnum had about 5000 km when I traded it and my 500 Sportsman has about 2000 km on it now and still no issues. I think that you may haver a seperate issue to be looking at.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:43 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default Brake life?

you have to remeber that disk brakes are like on a car do rub(very little)all the time and when you hit the brakes they squeeze the one pad agaist the rotor. thats why you usualy have one side where out faster on the pads. unlike drum brakes have springs to pull the shoe off the drum. now if your pistons in the calipers some how get struck(like from rust or what not)out they will hold more then a normal pressure agaist the pads causing the brakes to stay on and wear them out. just jack it up and try to spin the wheels (if there not a full time awd) and they should spin somewhat freely. if theres alot of restiance then that breake is sticking. hope it helps.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Range Rover
Default Brake life?

seems like mine will last forever especially on my sp800 x2 i also have a sp800 i think i could un hook breaks completley on my 800 x2 and not miss them...i never use the breaks (unless my dogs run in front of me or something) both bikes slow down real fast when no throttel is applied. the 800 is alot of bike to stop .now if you were riding on a mx track trying to push some fast laps i could see a guy wearing down pads in a few hundred miles......you must be riding the ****! out of your 800? i bet your having a blast!

Old 06-20-2007, 02:48 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default Brake life?

I use to change my dads brake pads on his 97 SP500 (no ebs) alot, ebc brake pads helped alot though. I only use my brakes if my life is in danger so they last as long as possible.

It depends on how you drive. When I ,m in a line of atvs going down a slow forest trail and when I look ahead all I see is brakes lights coming on and off continuously and when I get to there position on the trail I cant see why they used there brakes at all!

I was so used to riding my Big Bear which had no brakes whats so ever that I some times forget I have working brakes now.

Quick Reply: Brake life?