Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

K&N Air Filter Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Air Filter Question

The stock paper air filter on my 2007 500 EFI Sportsman got ruined in the mud and water hole last weekend. The water was up to the tank and it leaked in at some point, no other damage or fluid contamination found.

I'm wondering if I should just replace the stock with the cleanable K&N filter? I know that every product claims to be better at everything, but what is reality?

What is the paper filter better at, just cost or is their other areas that it performs better?

What advantage does the K&N have?

I'm assuming that you do not use the screened pre filter on the K&N. What is your experiences?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Check out this website and read his review of air filters.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Unless you are running wide open constantly, like in a race a K&N, or foam filter is not really any better than a paper filter. The extra air flow is so small it isn't worth it. And according to his tests, neither filter as well as paper.

It's an interesting read.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you OOXJ.

The air filtration test was an interesting read.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer

Don't believe everything thing you read. First hand experience says the K&N is the best for more air flow IF-and this is the key I believe-IF it is part of a package. On our sport Banshee's, we added after market pipes, different foam and K&N filters, drilled extra vents in the air box, and YES it made a difference in noticeable power. Ended up with a K&N in all our Banshee's over the foam type, easier to clean and made more horsepower. One needs to know this was sand dune running where you used all the power you could make. Now just change to a K&N and change nothing else??? Well, have one fellow say it made a big difference in his pre-EFI SP700.

It is simple, the more air one can move through an engine, the more power it will produce. Added a Banks exhaust system, which included headers, bigger exhaust and a new air filter box lid and a K&N to our RV. Made a big difference. Add a K&N with stock exhaust, I really do not know if one could tell the difference. But more air in and more air out will equal more power. If I were one to add a after market - read obnoxiously loud- pipe then without a doubt I would also add a K&N. If one can find a quite after market pipe and they are being made now, then also add the K&N. K&N could not stay in business if there product did not add a set-of-the-pants difference.

No, I'm have nothing to do with K&N, but if a company rep. reads this and wants to send me a promotion check, Hey, I would spend it on new toys. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Maybe even K&N filters for my present toys. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for sharing.

In my situation the stock paper air filter was trashed when it got wet so we couldn't ride yesterday since it was a Sunday and I didn't have a replacement filter.

Would the K&N been okay if it got wet and muddy? Could I have cleaned it and been on my way?

Old 06-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know of any air filter that likes to be wet. The K&N after it is cleaned has to be dry before re-oil. I suspect the K&N would stand up just a little better when wet only because of the wire support. But the gauze can be damaged just as easy as the paper. If you are going to be getting more filters wet, then maybe you need to carry a spare filter in a plastic bag. It that case a throw away maybe the best, read cheapest. Of course we understand you would NEVER throw it away expect in the house garbage, not on the trial. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, I went to the dealer this morning and bought the stock filter and a spare. I suspect this will happen again, thats why I was inquiring advice from others. Its always good to learn from others experiences. I don't mind paying more for the K&N next time, but not if it isn't going to help my stock machine and stand up in the same situation. Don't want to be throwing those filters out.

On my way for a family ride now. The misses and the girls are waiting, so off I go.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The k and n is a good filter, and it does help, I have never destroyed a k and n filter yet. But the do need cleaned every once in a while.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

If water is a problem go with a UNI foam filter.If you get it soaked you can sqweeze enough water out of it to get you back going.You cant do this with a K&N.The K&N does flow better but dont like water.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

I am a paper guy myself.............K&N is more air = more power........
My view........ more air = less restriction=less protection...........Just my 2 cents.............Caper.......

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter Question