Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

06, 800 ebs

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06, 800 ebs

is it just me or does anybodyelses 800 slide around crazy like with that ebs?Im new to the quad game ,ive been on 2 stroke 250s for 6 years .so i go out and get this 800 because all my buddys have quads these days. we go way up the mountains , i mean wayyy up no trees just rockand its goin all good then its time to turn around. my rear end is tryin to slide faster than my front, im snakein it all the way down ,theres clunks comin from my drive shafts too.so i figure its just me ,a rookie,so i trade with my buddy who has a bombardier 800 ,06 , i dont even have to use brakes on his .....i almost have to give it gas so i dont come to a complete stop.we get to the first landing he gets of mine and says"thats scary, that cant be right", so my other buddy has a kawaski 650 ,2002, hes got over 10 years on quads takes it down and the same responce , he tells me i should phone the dealercause that aint right.the dealer tels me its a break that goes on top of the belt and only slows down the rear...i took 3 different brands down that hill and all were held back by the gear ratio, mine just goes. dont get me wrong i love the machine , it goes anywhere but comming out gets kind of hairy sometimes, can i disengage the ebs somhow? thanks for your time

Old 07-18-2007, 06:08 AM
Range Rover
Default 06, 800 ebs

thats the difference between ebs and adc, what you describe is true with ebs. I don't know about unhooking it.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:18 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 06, 800 ebs

that is normal. the ebs is not like the adc where it slows all the wheels down vs. the rear wheels only. all you have to do is keep the clutch engaged a little by keeping a little throttle on and it wont let the ebs engage as much. the only way to get rid of it is to replace the clutches or trade for the 07' delux 800 which has the adc like your friends quads.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Trailblazer
Default 06, 800 ebs

hey thanks for the quick reply.
stendori i presume your 06 is the same? , with the ebs.
change the clutchs ... would nt it be some type electric or type of "brake" on either the front or back clutch, or a pad of some type that pushes on the top of the belt . i havent yet taken my cover of so i m not sure , hopein you already have. but if there is a way wouldnt the low/high gear still slow you down?just like the acdsystem....say if i put it in low and went down a steep incline wouldnt the gear ratio of the diffs slow me down? im sorry for all the questions , but i am kinda peeved when i go buy a 10000 dollar machine and snake down all the hills
Thanks for the help

Old 07-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default 06, 800 ebs

dont use low range going down hills.... the lower gearing makes it slide more..

Old 07-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default 06, 800 ebs

so it is freewheeling downhill, correct? if this is the case, it does need to be checked. I ride with some 800s with my 05 700 and it catches up to the 800s that are going downhill. The 800s will come to about a complete stop and require some gas like the other machines. It is just on the rear wheels on the 06 models, but the 07 deluxe has the adc which provides engine braking on the front wheels also.

does this help?

Old 07-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Range Rover
Default 06, 800 ebs

Problem Solved:
Here is the solution to your problem.
Put the Atv in AWD.
Aim the quad down the hill.
Hold your yellow button for reverse over-ride and spin the rear wheels until AWD is activated.
Now put the machine in a forward gear and you should have locked up the EBS to the rear wheels.
It will steer hard but You may want to try this without activating AWD.
I have not tried it yet.

We use this to navigate slippery hills going down... Not needing to steer aggresively to avoid rocks.
You should be able to crawl down any hill.

Jon

Old 07-19-2007, 02:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default 06, 800 ebs

Yeah thats just the way those non-ADC machines act. It's a handful on steep hills and can be really dangerous. the first time i rode one, a friend's brand new 700, I thought I'd broken his brand new ATV. It started clattering clunking and sliding and I thought I'd wrecked it. Not only that but I almost dumped it and it was just a steep gravel access road. I was shocked when he told me that was how it was suppose to act. I could never get use to it. I own a used Polaris that I ride every day but I'd never buy a new one with standard EBS.

The new Polaris ADC is great. It corrects all of the EBS shortcomings. The Polaris ADC is nearly as good, if not just as good, as the Can-Am engine braking which is outstanding. The Polaris engine braking is simply excellent. Why they didn't offer it on all their machines I don't know. I wouldn't buy a new machine without it. Hopefully they offer it in all colors and Sportsman models this year.

You might want to think about a trade in on a ADC equipped 800 if you're going to ride in the mountains or areas where you negotiate steep areas or ravines or hills. Your nerves would definitely thank you. That and it's just safer.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:03 AM
Trailblazer
Default 06, 800 ebs

. thanks for everybodys help. CaptainQuint, clattering, clunking, and sliding that is exacly it. im not sure why the would make such a big machine with that kind of set-up.....it just doesnt feel safe , and it feels like the machine is going to break with all that clunking. my problem now is that i financed this machine so i dont know if i could get a traid for a newer machine eventhough there only 120 kms on it , plus i got such a great deal ,thousands off the new price. so i guess im stuck with what i got .
thanks again for the help. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 06, 800 ebs

the ebs is in the clutch system and not electrical on our 800's. the clunking is the back lash in the drivtrain which is normal(but a pain to listen too)and shouldnt be any cause to worry. i admit that the adc would be better for sure but ive been down some pretty steep hills and managed w/out too much wheel slip. good luck.