Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What do you think!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you think!!

Well with the 2008 models listed.....And everyone talking about the "MID-SIZE" Sportsman..........I just wanted to see what most people think:

Do you think they(Polaris) should have named the 300 and the 400 H.O. mid-size line-up a Hawkeye or Sportsman for 2008?

I not trying to start any heated message topic here but just to see what most Polaris forum readers think!!

People now need to buy a 500 Sportsman to get the full features they once had before!!

So first they got rid of the Sportsman 400,For 2006, Now the full-size Sportsman 450 is gone for 2008. Maybe in the next few years the Sportsman 500 will be in the Mid-size frame.....LOL....LOL...I don't think so, But I didn't think they would stop the 450 in the full-frame also!!!.....
Well this should be intresting to see what people think!!!

Lets have fun with this post and not attack the Hawkeye of the past of the smaller Sportsman models!!!!!

There here for 2008 and we can't change that!!!
I just hope the Sportsman 400 H.O. sets a good example and not put a negative opinion on the rest of the line-up for first time buyers!!!

Thanks............Caper..................

Old 07-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 450 in the Hawkeye frame will be awesome! That much power, that clutch setup, where you don't need low will be awesome!
My Hawkeye simply will not slip the belt with that clutch setup. I have 25" mudlites on mine, and have hooked the winch to a pole and spun all 4 tires on hard ground. I put it under that load to see if it would slip.

I think Polaris was just going for name recognition and sales with the "new" names. Everybody has heard of a Sportsman. Nobody knows what a Hawkeye is.

Let's hope the clutch setup moves it's way up into the full sized Sportsman models for 2009 (with a low gear for those who like pulling mountains and 30" tires in rack deep mud)

Old 07-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Maybe they're just realizing like Yamaha, how much they can save in decals if everything has the same name. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

What's wrong with jumping to the 500 instead of the 450? The 500 is cheaper then last years 450. So I can't see why anyone would complain about getting a bigger engine, and a well proven engine for less money.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think they should have kept the hawkeye name where they kept the look. maybe all the little problems they had w/ the hawkeye(and i dont think there many) they decided it would be a better sales tactic. i agree a 98 lb lighter 455 in a hawkeye frame should rule that class hands down.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I think I tend to agree with an earlier posts on another thread (who's I wonder? lol)
That Polaris probably shifted up their Hawkeye type model to the Sportsman line
as its lowest model to irradicate the pollution surrounding the Hawkeye name, with its
known issues and recalls. It seems believable, that they would or did this.

There may be a BIGGER revelation though, maybe all of this is really to prepare for
the 2009 Line-up of the Bigger cc quads, 900cc and/or 100cc. Also, I heard earlier
rumors that the original Hawkeye was really to "replace" the TrailBoss model which
they have had for some years, not sure how true it is though?

As for me if I was in the market all over again for the 400 or 500 class and now the price diff etc. I
would definately buy the 500 for my start to the Sportsman class, but that is just my
preface.

Regards,

R'

Old 07-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris is Calling the 400 H.O. a Midsize Sportsman and showing the Larger Sportsman to be a full size, Polaris has ruled all classes except the Midsize class and now they will probally rule all other atvs under 450 cc with the Hawkeye 450 Im tired of calling it a Sportsman for Gods Sake it just a Hawkeye with a bigger Motor !! LOL That felt good to get it out. Thanks Rick