Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why do the Sled makers of ATVs not use there Sled engines/?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:44 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do the Sled makers of ATVs not use there Sled engines/?

If you check the two links to the 750 and 500 sleds they are both 4 strokes. Can Am chose to put a 65hp twin in there 800 Outlander but I guarantee the 800cc 4stoke sled Ski-Doo makes put out 140 hp also.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sled motors are way too powerfull for the companies to just put them in ATV's!!!

I thought the same When I first rode my Sp 450 after riding my Yamaha 500 V-max!!!
I said what is going on here ...Not much in the "PUNCH" lever...

Also Sleds don't have a Rad.......they have heat-exchangers......They are cooled by the snow and slush being turned up by the track and the anti-freeze is directed to the rear of the machine(for those that never really seen one).............So in my view......If these just depended on a elect. fan to cool the coolant..................NO!!!!..Would not work.......RPM's too high on a sled for the bigger cc.(some sleds are fan cooled directly on the engine head ,..be don't use coolant)

Not to forget the "ROLLING" weight of a atv is ALOT less than a snowmobile!!

It sure would be one he!! of a ride though!!!!..........Caper........

Old 08-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

The biggest reason is the EPA. They tighten emmission standards every year and OEMs had to eliminate 2 strokes to get their total emission # under the threshhold. I will say that at at ATV challange I attended last weekend a guy had a Sportsman 600 with a 600 twin snowmobile engine in it and it absolutley ripped. 115 HP on tap. SWEEEET!!!!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

i think the reason they dont put sled engines in quads is the saem reason they dont put streetbike engines in them. THEY WHOULD BE WAY TO FAST AND PEOPLE WHOULD KILL THEMSELFS!

Old 08-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

not to mention a complete waste of money and engine....

you could only begin to use that power in the dunes, or some crazy super flat and straight trail...
Where i ride is mostly very tecnhnical. there is no way 50 more horsepower would do me any good, except send me into a tree, or
flip over or somthing. As-Is I cant even really open the scrammy up much where i ride, a few short burts on trails here and there, fire roads, and
the occasional pits. Even there its to rough to really get on it, the only place ive ever fully lit up my quad was a paved road, and a once upon a time
dirt road that doesnt exist any more ($#%$#%#$ developments)

Snowmobiles are made for smooth and easy riding.. Like cars on a highway,
You get to open it up on packed snow trails, pipelines, LAKES #1#1, etc. All smooth and straight, and in most cases, the trail is so packed its hard
NOT to stay in it. My unc. has a 2000ish Arctic Cat 600 twin two stroke. 95 HP, and that thing ripps. I've had it up to 110 mph on the lake i llive on before i started to run out of lake. She probably could do 125.
So what im saying is,
Cars To Quads = Snomobiles To Quads = Street Bikes to Quads
If you really want to put the engine in it, go ahead, ive seen quads with all of these engines (anyone see the Subaru STI quad?)
and basically, it makes it a striaght line kinda vehicle, that has no buisness being off road, churning mud and crawling rocks.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:06 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: snoracer25

The biggest reason is the EPA. They tighten emmission standards every year and OEMs had to eliminate 2 strokes to get their total emission # under the threshhold. I will say that at at ATV challange I attended last weekend a guy had a Sportsman 600 with a 600 twin snowmobile engine in it and it absolutley ripped. 115 HP on tap. SWEEEET!!!!</end quote></div>

The 140hp 750cc twin and 80hp 500cc twin sled engines I used for a example are 4 strokes.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

^

Old 08-30-2007, 06:23 PM
Range Rover

I've posted many times about how Polaris should use their 750 4-str sled motor in their atvs. Howver, if they did, they should use the non-turbo version, it still makes 80HP. No ATV needs 140HP, If some one wants to build one in their garage fine. The 750 4str Polaris uses is made by Weber, a german company. the motor is light at 110lbs(non-turbo), and compact. It uses a SOHC w/ 4v-per-cyl, and has a bore X stroke of 85 X 66. Personally, I'd like to see Polaris come out w/ a next generation line of Liberty 4-str twins that borrow from the Weber design, just square up the bore and stroke for more low and mid range torque and HP, by square up I mean change the bore and stroke to be more even, like the 764cc Sportsman 800 motor has a BxS of 80x76, Polaris could make a new weber-type motor w/ a BxS of 81x78, that would give it a displ of about 803cc, or even better, 82.8x78 for about 840cc (840 is GNCC utility class legal). That's my .02. Ya'll have a great weekend.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> Howver, if they did, they should use the non-turbo version, it still makes 80HP.</end quote></div>

I would think the Polaris 750cc even without the tubo exhaust would make more than 80hp. The Yamaha Venture's 4 stroke on there trail touring sled puts out 80hp and it,s only a 500cc.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Range Rover

The yamaha 500 makes 80 hp, but it also revs alot higher and doesn't make as much torque. The Polaris motor only revs to about 7500-8000 rpm, I bet the 500 revs to well over 10k rpm.

Quick Reply: Why do the Sled makers of ATVs not use there Sled engines/?