Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 400 has a clicking solenoid.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 400 has a clicking solenoid.

I have read through the forum and found that those who where having problems with their clicking noise coming from the solenoid was resolved by putting a fresh battery in.

Well, I have replaced the battery with a new one and still have the clicking. I checked all the posts including the starter. Is it possible that the solenoid is bad? (It does appear a little beat) But if it is clicking, does that mean it is working? I looked at the starter and it looks nearly impossible to replace, the thing is on there good!

I was thinking about replacing the solenoid with the one from the 250 to test it tonight. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Forrest

Old 08-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its clicking and the battery is new, the solonoid is OK. MOST COMMON PROBLEN IS WATER ENTERING THE STARTER and rusting up the armature sticking it to the magnets so it wont spin, you need to remove the starter and see if it turns by hand and if not pull it apart and clean it, this usually fixxes the problem. at the worst case you might need a starter rebiuld kit which includes brushes and seals (look on ebay)
its not as hard to do as it sounds

rich

Old 08-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Rich, I will pull it off tonight.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just by pass the sol. to make sure its fine. jumpthe 2 big red wires(with the key on) and if the starter turns over then its bad if not then the starter is froze up or bad.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Before you tear it apart, put it in gear and rock it back and forth a few times. Once in a while my starter sol. clicks too. The gears aren't lined up correctly and causes it.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks everyone for your replies. 222DGE, I used to have to do that with my old Jeep, so I know excactly what you mean. I began to take out the starter last night. I got everything done except for the one bolt that sits on top of the starter. It took about 5 minutes to find the thing with my hand. From the bottom I can barely see it. I have read that some have gotten this bolt out without taking off the clutch, but do not see how. Has anyone actually done and seen it done, why in the hell did they put that bolt all the way up there?

Thanks,

Forrest

Old 08-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

you can get it out without removing the clutch but its tricky but i never did replace that bolt and rely on the others to hold it , but it seems fine that way

and rocking an automatic to free the starter seems to be pointless

Old 08-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

Tricky as in how? I need 3 arms and hands the size of an infants? What tools did you use?

Old 08-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Had a similar problem with my scrammy,
which is part of the reason it sat for 4 years, besides college,

So now that i have it running, here is what i found.
Not even my pull start would pull! hmm was it bound up?
Well, after ripping everything off that you need to get the recoil off, i found it had a bit of rust in it, but it still worked, upon closer inspection, my bendix gear on the starter, was locked right against the flywheel... after much liquid wrench, and hammering, and rocking it back and forth, and disengaged and went back to its rightfull spot.
Im waiting on a new bendix gear right now, in the mean time i just pull start her.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

The pull start works great on this one. I also had some crud in the recoil so I cleaned it all out. I also took the drain bolt out of the starter and pushed a tube up there and a bunch of fluid came leaking out of there too. The bendix seemed fine. I was able to move it and such. I did spray some PB blaster in there and up in the starter as well as noted in another post. When said hammering, where you refering to tapping on the starter itself?

Quick Reply: Scrambler 400 has a clicking solenoid.