Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hawkeye starter noise,anyone figure what it is ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye starter noise,anyone figure what it is ??

Bought 2 new 2006 Hawkeyes and both make a noise after the starter key is released, lasts for about 1-2 seconds . . sounds like the old can of marbles rolling around, as soon as the rpm's pick up a little, the noise goes away . . at first it seemed to be something that you'd expect to hear until the oil pressure comes up , it just sounds like a destructive noise so I am concerned. . I took them to my local Polaris dealer [what a joke] and he said Polaris told him it was a normal noise. and he wouldn't even look into it. I've never heard this noise on other Polaris quads, just the Hawkeye. Has anyone looked into this noise.???

And while I'm talking about poor dealer service let me put in a plug for my local dealer. Polaris - Motoworld of El Cajon California

And then there is the well known jetting issue . I complained about no power [16 mph max at 5000 feet] and was told that since I purchased the quad at sea level, that's where the dealer is obligated to make it run for . . I was told I had to do the research and rejet it myself . . So a DYno-Jet kit is on the way along with new clutch weights . .

Polaris seems to be long on promises and short on action. Very poor service . I talked to the factory and got the same bunch of crap . . .

Old 08-31-2007, 02:12 AM
Range Rover

I bought a couple of Hawkeyes for my boys. I too was concerned about the starter noise. Two dealers told me that was how Bendix starters sounded.
I also had the jetting problem, they re-jetted them at no charge. I hope that they don't run too hot in the dunes now. I wish EFI was available on all size bikes then there would be no altitude worries.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

that Starter noise is normal wit the hawkeye, i figure if it goes out on me Ill go to the dealer or factor and give it back and demand a new one, the jetting is a problem but the heavy clutch rollers are the biggest problem, Mine had the 14 gram rollers in it , i removed 2 rollers and it really livened this thing up even with the stock jetting it would run 50mph easy maybe even more but ran out of road, Only thing is it wanted to wheelie over on me if i wasnt careful going up a steep incline, and with the kid riding it i wanted to be safe with her so i put the rollers back in, So im running now with the jet kit and more air, took out that spark arrestor and the motor breathes better and revs quicker, Just remember to use loctite when putting the Nut back on the Clutch drive and a Impact , torqued to 60-100 pounds, or it will loosen up and burn up your belt with my 25 inch tires it really is an Impressive machine now. ive got videos on youtube.com under the search Polaris hawkeye

Old 08-31-2007, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer

See here for my fun trip through rejetting land. Hopefully, your experience will turn out better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]