Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Painting the plastic body panels??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting the plastic body panels??

Anyone had it done (professionally)?? My wife saw a couple of 08's today with the pretty paint, and wants hers painted the same way.

TR

Old 09-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know about the current plastics, but a guy I know had an older polaris, 88?, painted by a bodyman, and it didn't take long in the sun for it to start bubbling up and flaking off. So yeah, i'm not sure haha.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

My partner and I have a very expensive paint line including the washer and curing oven in the shop that we own. We have not fired it up yet as we have just purchased the equipment. We were talking today and I brought up painting my sons white wolvy plastics and he said we could do it no problem. The key he said was the flexibility of the paint and the talent of the person operating it. We have a great painter working for us so during the off season I am going to have him paint the plastics either red or black. He said we can get an automotive quality finish on the plastics.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

I suspect prep is pretty important too. If the factory can do it, so can someone else. I'd love to hear what paint you end up using.

TR

Old 09-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

I'll let you guys know about the paint. Probably won't happen for a month or two till we are basically done riding.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

It can be done but and I work at a dodge/gm dealer that has a bodyshop that has done it. The biggest issue is how flexible the plastic is. You will need a good flex agent in the paint to help keep it from cracking. So far so good but I'm not sure how the long term results will be yet.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

I just painted mine and the main thing is to clean & prep the plastic really really good. Make sure you use a adhesive promoter and flex agent. I painted mine Hemi orange pearl.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

you can use bumper paint. its made to be flexable.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have been a painter most of my life and am currently a Body Shop Manager At Marine Chevrolet In Jacksonville NC. I have painted alot of Go kart Plastic race bodies and motorcycles and a few ATV's. As the guys before said prep is everything. You have to clean extremely well with a pre kleano, remove all contamination and apply a very aggressive adhesion promotor such as Bull Dog or we use BASF product. I like polyurethane paints for this stuff and a very durable clear coat with a flex additive such as DF 25 (BASF product) in the clear coat. Your best bet is taking it to someone that really knows what there doing if you want it to last. Otherwise you'll watch peel as you ride or that first powerwash will splatter it everywhere! Good Luck

Old 09-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mannnnnnnnn, that's a sweet looking machine! My dad just snorkeled his yamaha 350 wolverine this weekend and I am just curios what do have that you need the four snorkels in the front of your atv?

Quick Reply: Painting the plastic body panels??