Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New to Polaris.......Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Polaris.......Help!

on my trailblazer the aluminum shift linkage on top of the tranny that the shaft from the shift **** attaches to was stripped out, shift the bike using the shift lever and watch the linkage and see if it rotates around the shift shaft in the tranny.

I hope you get it running, my trailblazer is nicknamed the "trailwaster" becuase it goes anywhere

Old 09-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer

Yah, that piece that is stripped out is called the bell knuckle. I replaced one on my TB as well. At first I thought it was odd because you are right, it is just a light piece of aluminum, but it is cheaper to replace a 16 dollar piece of aluminum than a 70 dollar piece of steel plus all the labor to get the case out and all that fun stuff.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Range Rover

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain well. The Aluminum piece that the shifter linkage hooks to on top of tranny is not stripped. I took a pair of pliers and held that piece and switched the tranny from R-N-F. The tranny itself is not changing out of reverse. The issue is internal, I'm thinking shift shaft or shift fork???

Old 09-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Range Rover

OK, how do i get the drive clutch off? Do I have to have a special tool or is there some other way? Everything else is loose to take out tranny but got to get back cover plate off to get to other mount bolts.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Range Rover

UPDATE!!!

While looking for a clutch puller, I called Jenk's Polaris in Estill SC (these guys are great btw), Jenks told me he doubted very seriously that the shifter fork or shift shaft was damaged. He said he see's this problem a lot down here since we have lots of swamps. He said rust is most likely culprit. Water gets in the tranny case and rust forms on the shiftfork/shaft assembly area and won't allow the fork to move. I asked if this meant I would have to replace shaft/gears/etc (I had no clue since this is first Polaris I've ever had) Jenk's said that a good clean-up should be all that is necessary. He said take it apart, clean with solvent and take emory cloth and polish up the parts (if rust is the issue of course). I have the clutches off and everything else disconnected so I'll be taking the tranny out Saturday AM to inspect. I may have gotten VERY lucky!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Range Rover

I **THINK** I have found my problem..................

Jenks Polaris was right....................Rust around the shift shaft and the shifter fork from water in the tranny. Of course, the chunks of aluminum and the dirt helped aggevate the issue!!! Turns out there was a hole just above the front sprocket that was covered in 3 year old greasy mud!!! The hole is just wider than the chain and about an inch long. 'Didn't see it until I got the tranny off and knocked the mud off of it.

The GOOD NEWS is that all of the internals are good. The shifter fork and shift shaft polished up as good as new with some emery cloth. The gears, shafts and bearings are all fine. I'm not sure how much slack should be in the tranny chain but since I have it apart, I'll go ahead and replace it. I'll go ahead and replace the shaft seals, gaskets and "O" rings too!

I'm gonna try to weld-up the case. I'm a hack welder myself but I know the best welder in town and I'll get him to look at it tomorrow. If he can weld it, i'll mill it back into shape and put it back together and see what happens.