Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

broken bolt!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Djk
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken bolt!!

i need some help, one of the two bolts that connects the tailpipe to the engine broke, so pretty much the hole bolt is stuck in the engine, and it's fairly deep, as in it's not sticking out so i can't take a wrench and take it out, my friend told me about this grab it stuff, that takes the bolt out somehow, because i don't want to take it to the shop, because i'm expecting the price would be alot, so if ne body has ne suggestions, tell me , PLEASE HELP!!

Old 09-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default broken bolt!!

If you can get a small thin punch on it .....You can start tapping it out counter-clockwise if there is room to pound!!!!............Caper............

Old 09-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default broken bolt!!

go to your local sears or parts store and get what's called an easy-out. you pretty much drill a hole in the bolt and the easy out acts like a reverse threaded drill bit. you could drill a small hole in it and then put in a self tapping screw in with some strong loctite or jb weld. let it dry and then take it out. hope this helps.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default broken bolt!!

i would w/ embler and use the drill and easy out method. im assuming you mean you broke the exhaust studs/bolt off that go in the front of the engine. there in there pretty good so dont know if the jb weld or any other style of glue type would work. just my .02

Old 09-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Range Rover
Default broken bolt!!

Well I don't know about the "grab it stuff" but usually you can center punch the broken bolt, drill a hole in the center of the bolt somewhat smaller than the threads in the casting that the bolt is broke off in and use what is called an "ease out" Now you have to get the hole dead center of the broken bolt and drill it straight. If you don't you could ruin the threads in the casting. If you are not comfortable working with tools I would take it to the local machine shop. If it is rusted I would use penetrating oil over night to soften things up a bit before trying to remove it. Good luck

Old 09-17-2007, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default broken bolt!!

I take them out with a welder . Place a nut over the broken bolt - get right down the center of the nut onto the broken stud and weld broke stud til you get it onto the nut . Wait a few seconds for heat to transfer (heat is your friend in this job ) . It may take a few attempts but it will come out .

BTW - which engine is it ?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:37 AM
Range Rover
Default broken bolt!!

u better mix that JB weld darn good and hope theres no pits in threads cause u will be stuck with a bolt and jb weld stuck in that hole.and block better be upside down or it will drip out.
If sears idea dont work remember its aluminum block drill it out so its close to thread size and put straight edge into center of bolt,screwdriver small chisel and turn it out. u can always rethread the hole. got little room around bolt hole. With drill out it would help to get block warm so it expands. when cool its shrunk down little bit. i know it would be hot on hands but it will make it lots easier what ever rouute u take. i also do the welding idea. if u can see enough of it to weld another bolt to it. wire feed is best to use. just dont weld block it will burn thru.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default broken bolt!!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RickRitter

I take them out with a welder . Place a nut over the broken bolt - get right down the center of the nut onto the broken stud and weld broke stud til you get it onto the nut . Wait a few seconds for heat to transfer (heat is your friend in this job ) . It may take a few attempts but it will come out .

BTW - which engine is it ?</end quote></div>

thats what i do if you have enough sticking out to weld to but not everyone had a welder like us. this would be the best way by far if you can get a nut on the end of it becasue ricks right, the heat will help get it off since its pretty much heat seated in there. just a tought

Old 09-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Djk
Range Rover
Default broken bolt!!

ya i don't have a welder, and nothing is sticking out, nothing, And it's a 90cc Rick, so yeah, and the bolts aren't that hard to get out because they come out all the time, because of the vibration, every day it seems like were tightening them because the atv starts to sound like a harley

Old 09-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default broken bolt!!

Well if they are not hard to get out..................Try the punch ..........get a sharp thin punch and tap it out counter-clockwise if you can get in there.............I do it at work all the time with broken bolts that are not too tight and works good most of the time!!........Caper.......................

What size thread?...........

Quick Reply: broken bolt!!