Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

wooble wooble

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wooble wooble

well, found out what it was but came upon some other bad news. it was the nut on the ball joint. I'm guessing that's what its called cause that's what it looks like. the nut was real loose and the carter pin was about to fall out. how much play is suppose to be in it? after I took the nut off it would move pretty freely. it still had plenty of grease though. speaking of grease, that's the bad news. I noticed some on the cv boot. turned the shaft and a big tear in it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] this sucks. called the local shop and boot is only $19 but for them its $52 for labor. so roughly $75 for them to do it. think I will try it myself.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default wooble wooble

welcome to the wonderful world oh boot repair lol. you got lucky if you found it now and before it starting clicking(cv joint gone) so its a cheap fix vs. 250.00 for the joint. what you might do is take it out of the bike and bring them the shaft and have them put the new boot together for ya to save the hassle and they have the tools and knowledge to do it. just a thought.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default wooble wooble

yeah I got lucky. its not clicking at all. was still pretty much full of grease. what all would I have to take apart to put a new one on? would it be too much to ask for a step by step? lol. the guys will charge the $52 for it whether I bring them just the shaft or the whole thing.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default wooble wooble

double post

Old 09-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default wooble wooble

depending how mechical you are and tools you have its not real hard to take apart, but sometimes pulling the shaft out is differcult. if they would garranty 75.00 max then i would consider it. one way to look at it is if something happens and the boot slides off or clamp comes off its on there hands that they screwed it up and have to go good for it. do a search and you'll find all kinds of step by step on cv post.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default wooble wooble

I'm an excellant mechanic (bragging on myself) and I have a huge assortment of tools so I should be good in that regard. I've just never worked on atvs before besides the occasional brake job and carb cleaning and adjusting. of course there was a time that I never worked on a mustang or what not also. only problem is that my local shop takes forever and a day to fix stuff. they've had my uncles trailblazer for 3 1/2 weeks now to redo the top end. guess I will give it a try. thanks for the help.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wooble wooble

embler i was in the Small engine Service and Repair Industry for over 20yrs , and i had over $10,000.00 in hand tool's alone not to mention and a $ 259.00, 20 ton shop press and ; and a $ 500.00 crank shaft strighting frame ! And a $395.00 valve seat cuter set , and a 1 $1,500.00 valve face cutting machine ; and another $789.00 in speacil tool's that i had to keep buying because the manufacturer's kept changing the fastner's ever year or some ! But after i bought my first i got soaked by he local Honda DealerShip on my first quad a 86' Honda TRX 350 Foreman 4x4 , and later by a Suzuki DealerShip on a 93' Suzuki 300 KQ Ltf4wd and ths was the reason i desided to do my owm work on the frist second quad ; then i found an old friend who had the first and only Arctic Cat DealerShip in the north Ga town i live in ! She would sell part's was my quad's for under half price than the Honda and Suzuki Dealer's charged , and she had to speacial order most of the the part's for my quad's ; and she still charged me under half price even though i didn't buy the quad's from her ! Anytime i needed the spec's info for the quad's at no chage , so on Feb. 7th 2006 i bought a 2006 Arctic Cat 400 Auto 4x4 that had the suzuki powered 376cc engine ; with the Suzuki Duramatic belt driven clutch ! She also let me service and do any repair's to the cat , she put it into her computer showing that the work was done buy her ; i just call he when i service the quad ; or when i buy the after market oil filter's she sell's in her shop for $4.99 + tax ! The after market filter's she sell's better that the original AC 's are and she sell's them for $4.00 less than the AC brand that came on them them from the factory , i told her when i was looking at them the 400/500/650H1 and the Kawasaki powered 650 V twin's ; that i wanted the manual shift geared tranny ! I told her i didn't want a belt drive because i had heard about and chutck problem's the the belt drive's , she told me that since she started selling the AC's in 2001 ; that one of 400/500 and the 650 H1's had ever been brought in for a belt or clutch problem's and that only the 650 V Twin 's with the Kawasaki's had a gearing problem on them on the 2006 model's but they were all fix with the new gearing under warrany ! I was looking at a 500 but it was liquid cooled and to me that was just more part;s to replace when they go bad , and she started doing the paperwork for the AC 400 when she stopped i said oh you wanted the manual shift didn'y you ; i told her yes and she told me she had only 3 of the 400's left and they were auto's ! Then she told me that since i was a double bilateral amputee with my leg's off just below the knee's that the AC 400 Auto would be ready to ride and i wouldn't have put a hand shifter like i had to do on my old Honda And The old Suzuki , and she gave me her personal garranttee that if my belt or cluth ever went before i payed it off she would pay for the fix even if my warranty ran out ; and she knew that i had financed it for four yrs ! But she told me that she knew how i rode my quad's that she would go the extra year with her money had to come from her pocket , and i have known her since was 4 yrs old so i took her word ; and got the 400 Auto even though i liked to do my own shifing but since my first 70 mile ride i wasn's as sore as when i rode the other two quad's on a short 30 mile run ! So i'm glad i got the Auto after all , and if i had it to do over i would still pick the auto ; and so far it hasn't let me down ; i ride in alot of rough and rocky mountain trail's that get very steep and the Auto pull's me over the steepest hill's in high range with out so much as a hickup i love my cat ! The only thing i want to get for my quad is a good O.E.M. or Haynes Service and Repair Manual that cover my year make and model , my quad is all stock and it will goe faster than my old gad's when they were new ; and there isn't a place that i ride here in favorite trails that you can get over half throddle for over 10 to 15 second's before having to lock down the break's or you wouldn't ride over one ride if you didn't let off the throddle it would be the last ride you would ever take ! so if you do your own service and Repair work on your quad , the best investment you can make for your quad ; would be a good Manual it will pay for itself with just one complete sevicing and or Repair !I buy one for every car or truck i buy and plan to keep it for at least 3 or more year's and my 87' Chevy S10 Tahoe Longbed Pick up i still have and i bought in Dec. of 1994 ! I wish you good luck with your quad embler , and be safe when riding alway's wear a helmet ; what ever you do ! ...............................

Old 09-28-2007, 09:58 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default wooble wooble

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: embler

I'm an excellant mechanic (bragging on myself) and I have a huge assortment of tools so I should be good in that regard. I've just never worked on atvs before besides the occasional brake job and carb cleaning and adjusting. of course there was a time that I never worked on a mustang or what not also. only problem is that my local shop takes forever and a day to fix stuff. they've had my uncles trailblazer for 3 1/2 weeks now to redo the top end. guess I will give it a try. thanks for the help.</end quote></div>

I see your Garage set up in your pics,I say rip that baby apart. Torn boots are common occurrence (ON any Brand of ATV) so learn now.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default wooble wooble

gonna rip it apart this afternoon. no riding for me this weekend anyway. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] gotta take the kids to the fair saturday and the yard hasn't been mowed in forever. oh well.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default wooble wooble

update on my "wooble". everything is good again. finally got the boot and put it on. it had been sitting all torn apart for a few days and I've been so busy at work I didn't have time to put it back together. the boot was a pain to get on! the clamps were the worst part. took it out for a quick spin and no more wooble and the boot didn't fly off so I'm good to go! anybody else ever had the nut come loose on the ball joint?