Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman front tire tilt

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sportsman front tire tilt

Here I go again, more questions....on my '05 Sportsman 400, when looking at the machine from the front, my front tires are leaned in toward the top. They are both tight, with no play (reminds me of the old Chevelle's from the 60's). I noticed that '06 and later models do not seem to exibit the same characteristic. Any ideas?

Old 10-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer

They all do that, even the new ones. Normal.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

It's sagged out front springs. Mine did it right from day one. I installed a set of EPI Heavy Duty front springs and It's been fine ever since. Have a look at my pics and you'll see the differance

Old 10-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yep my 06' 800 did it as well. i just put spacers in and it fixed the problem. people dont realize even just w/ a winch and front bar/grush guard or other things on the front add more weight to the front of the bike and it takes it toll on the already weak springs.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer

Like I said it is normal. Lift springs will pull the bottom of the tires in because it rotates the lower A arms lower than factory specification. The factory alignment has the bottom out and the toe out so it will be more stable and not roll under in turns.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

The new Sportsman have soft springs and will sag with any extra weight. Polaris now lists front spring adjusters to lift the front. Just measure the front ground clearance, you should be around 11". If not get the adjusters and set acordingly, and then make sure to check your toe out, should be 1/8"-1/4" out.

Mine measured 8" after a couple good rides and the front tires were way cambered in at the top and looked bad, I got the adjusters and all is good!

Old 10-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seen some of the IRS quads in the rally this week-end .......With two riders(who don't miss dinner..LOL.)............Anyway riding behind some of these you can really see the rear tires squat !!................I wondered how that can enjoy a full day on the trail like that!!!.......Caper..........

Old 10-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does Polaris charge for the spring adjusters?......Thanks,,,,,,,Caper............

Old 10-03-2007, 06:23 AM
Range Rover

its not hurting anything to have em like that.I run my truck with same lean cause it helps in sand and climbing. lift your front end and they straighten out. if u cant go straight when u let go of handlebars then u have problem

Old 10-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm glad someone started this topic. I was noticing this same thing with my 800 sp. It has a winch and brush guard that same with it, so I don't know any other look. It tracks straight, but I can't see how the front tires would wear evenly.
I think I'll go measure it.

I'm right at 11". I wonder what is causing my front wheel tilt then..... If I add spacers I'm guessing I will gain ground clearance?

Quick Reply: sportsman front tire tilt