Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 Polaris Scrambler Won't Engage Into 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Polaris Scrambler Won't Engage Into 4WD

I'm having my first problem with my new to me Scrambler. Coming home from riding last night I switched out of 4WD just like alwaysa as I got onto my gravel driveway. This time the right hub stuck and pulled the ATV to the right. No big deal, my dealer said this happens sometimes. So, I stopped and switched it back into 4WD and then back out again. The hub didn't stick and all seemed good. I went back riding again tonight and notcied that my 4WD will not engage and the AWD light does not light up. Where should I even start looking? Everything else works perfectly. I need some advice. Thanks guys!

Old 10-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Is there voltage present at the front gearcase plug-in and if so, how much? Does the awd light come on? Do the gear indicator lights coincide with the gear your gear selector is in? Dash/speedo all visibly functioning correctly?

Old 10-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure about the voltage at the front gearcase. The AWD light does not come one. All the gears work and the gear selector lights xoincide to what gear I'm in. Everything on the dash works perfectly. All the lights work. It has just as much power as ever. Nothing else seems to b the matter with it. I don't have a speedo, so I can't tell you that!

Old 10-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

make sure the light bulb isnt blown in the awd light. some of them have to have a goiod bulb to complete the circuit.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just lost my 4x4 also on my Magnum, and on mine something must have flung up and caught the wire that goes from the front diff into the wiring harness. and there is no wire left at all, basically the wire broke off right at the case, so I had to pull it apart but can't figure out how to get into where the motor that engages the front end is.

So I'd say maybe check that wire to make sure its ok and not crimped or missing or something.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Waveslider

I just lost my 4x4 also on my Magnum, and on mine something must have flung up and caught the wire that goes from the front diff into the wiring harness. and there is no wire left at all, basically the wire broke off right at the case, so I had to pull it apart but can't figure out how to get into where the motor that engages the front end is.

So I'd say maybe check that wire to make sure its ok and not crimped or missing or something.</end quote></div>

It's not a motor that engages the AWD. It's an electromagnet and an armature plate etc. If your wire is gone at the case ans you can't splice it back together, you need a new housing cover. 3234159 is the part number if the magnum is the 04 330 4X4 that is stated at the bottom of your posts. It's got a name, what is it?

Old 10-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

I'll check everything out. I'm pretty sure that the wires are all ok because when it happened I was on a gravel road and hadn't hit anything. I'll still check it out. I'll also check the light. It would probably be something that small to make such a big problem. I'll try to find some time tomorrow to work on it.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Range Rover

i am having a similer problem with my scrambler 4x4 except when i flik the swith and it locks it jerks to the left very hard whys this

Old 10-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

I would say that your left front hub is stuck. It might to be rebuilt. It could just need a good cleaning and some grease.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: vrodpredator

i am having a similer problem with my scrambler 4x4 except when i flik the swith and it locks it jerks to the left very hard whys this</end quote></div>

I would say check the left hand hub and wiring(it's probably the one not working). In AWD if only one side engages in the front it usually makes the machine pull to the oposite side(if the right hand is working but not the left, it pulls to the left and vice versa). Check for broken wires first. I've also seen the washer behind the nut on the axle bending over time because it's too thin and then you have play in the hub and the 4wd won't work. Get rid of the washer and use a thicker one. I bet its wiring though.

Quick Reply: 2001 Polaris Scrambler Won't Engage Into 4WD