Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Battery Charging or Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Charging or Removal

I was looking at the battery in my 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, and it looks like the battery removal would be a pain to get to, especially the positive terminal even to charge it. Anyone have an easy way to do this?

Thanks, Ron

Old 10-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not sure where it is on yours, but most of them are under the rear fender on the left(sitting on the bike) and you pull the seat off for accessing the cover and strap that holds it on. not sure on yours.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes that's where it is. Looks like to me that the fender may need to be removed to change it though. The strap can be unhooked but the positive terminal is directly beneath the fender and the battery holder prevents any sliding out of the battery. I believe the fender will need to be lifted up to get the battery out. I may ask the dealer about it. It's so tight you couldn't get a jumper cable on the positive terminal.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:09 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Not sure about your year but mine also can not lift straight out,the trick is to tilt it over after you remove the strap.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

TLC, I'll check that out. Just need to have easy access to it out on the trail somewhere. By the way, It's a 2007 SP 500 EFI.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Both mine are like TLC's. Tilt it and then undo the terminals.

Tricky putting it back one. The batteries I have bought, the bolt needed to be about 1/4 inch longer. Not long enough you could just slide the nut in, then get it started on the bolt. Have to keep the nut elevated till the bolt starts.

Easy trick if you get a new battery. It should have new nut/bolt, take the old one and slide them both in. Raises it enough to get the bolt started without any hassles.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron In VA i bought one of the battery charger's that come with these wire's that lead to a plug that snap's together when you need a charging , they only charge at 1 and 2 amp trickle charge the wire's or color coded red for positive and black for negative ; it's specially made for lawn tractors , motorcyles and atv's they're called battery tender's ! What you do is attach the wire's directly to the battery post's , the wire's have the round hole's so the battery bolt's fit in the hole's and you leave them mounted to the battery terminal's so all you have to do when charging the battery is just plug the connector's together And get some Di - Electric Grease at the auto parts store and pack the connector's with the Di - Electric Grease this will keep corrosion from building up in the connector's ; the charger will shut itself off when the battery is fully charged so there's no danger of overcharging the battery ! There are different brand's to choose from , but i bought the Shumacher or at least i think that's how you spell the name ; but like i said there are different brand's i bought mine from Sams Club but you can get them at Wal Mart , K Mart and any auto parts stores for around $19.99 + tax they're great for use as a battery tender ! ..............

Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Williebee & the rest of you guys for the responses & tips. I appreciate it.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea all you do is tilt is out and its not that bad. i think the new sp.400 has a built in battery end for the battery tender as its hard to get to according to a mechanic on here who put them together.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I use a Optimate II maintainer for both of my ATVs. You just install the quick connect (The ones in the left of the pic) to the batteries and when you're not riding for a while, just connect up.

The connection at the battery has a rubber boot that slips over so no mud/water can get at it and get the contacts dirty.

Quick Reply: Battery Charging or Removal