Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rev Limiter

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev Limiter

I have a 1986 I believe 250 trail boss and it won't rev, I talked to a polaris parts guy who told me there are several differnt parts that could go wrong, does anybody know how to narrow it down or bypass it??

Old 11-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rev Limiter

what is it doing?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rev Limiter

when i start it up it run's fine and then tops out like a jet ski, like it only rev's 1000rpm or something like that. i noticed the plug under the carb on the "gear box" or transfer thing was unplugged so i plugged that in and still nothing

Old 11-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rev Limiter

I've been reading other guys problems in here and one guy keeps saying to unplug the black wire, I just tried that and it runs awesome. So awesome in fact it blew the recoil apart and shattered the little gold "squirrel cage" inside broke the rope and plastic rope container. I wrench on snowmobiles all the time, race grasss drags and all that so this engine is just like a snowmobile including the carb. It seems to be reving to high now even when the gas is let go, I imagine this is a bad boot on carb but haven't checked yet, it has nothing to do with disconnecting the black wire does it??

Old 11-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rev Limiter

Edit- Replied too late! Glad you got it going. Sorry about the recoil.

If I remember correctly there is a Reverse limiter under the fuel tank. Its towards the front of the tank. It is next to the voltage regualtor. Remove the black wire from the limiter and see if it revs up.

It doesn't show a rev limiter in the parts diagrams for that model, but I remember a long time ago, I worked on an 85 or an 86 and it did have one installed. I kinda think it was a bulletin way back then. Can't remember for sure. See if it's got one and remove the wire. If it doesn't help, or have one, let us know and we'll try to help you figure out whats going on.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rev Limiter

Thanks alot, it's funny how on these forums like this one hardcore sledder and others people are so freindly and willing to help for nothing, but when you call or go in and see a dealer they just say bring it in and they have no time to discuss it with you, or always look at you like you have no idea how to fix this, i mean sure i might not know all the lingo or parts but it's not rocket science, and they wonder why so many people buy parts on line, and they all say it's a minimum week to fix it because they have to order parts, and i can get the parts in a day or so. I own a plumbing buisness and if i told someone that i couldn't fix it for at least a week they would tell me I'm crazy. Thanks alot again, I called cycle land by me and asked is there any way to bypass the limiter even temporarly so i can figure out if that's it and they said no way to do it bring it in. got on here and 3 minutes problem solved, you guys made my day