Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Okay.... I Want To Buy A Polaris Sportsman....

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay.... I Want To Buy A Polaris Sportsman....

I would go get a 07 left over. These are a great wheeler. I own a few honda's and the sportsman I just bought is worth every penny! The ride is incredable! The price is good, and worth the extra money verses buy used with no warranty.

Next year Im buying a polaris razor, that things is a work of art! I own a few other two seaters, and that thing blows them out of the water. If you have a family like me, that is a great addition to your toy selection.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MooseHenden

Aahhyes, the Sportsman is definetly the way to go for someone with a sore back. L4 here. (Note: don't help anyone move who doesn't have rock salt in February in New England) I have the Sportsman X2 which is a little stiffer than the regular Sportsman due to being able to haul 2 people. It still offers a ride that my back can take pretty well. It is like driving a couch within reason. If you want fuel injection you can go with a 2005 or newer 500. Just make sure it says EFI somewhere. Polaris also make the 500 in a carb. version for people not wanting the EFI. The ADC (active decent control) was not standard until this year if my thinking is right. EBS is standard on all previous Sportsmans of the last 6-7 years. It is rear wheel only. The 2005 and up Sportsman also have a great front rack with a ton of storage.</end quote></div>

E.B.S is not standard on ALL Sportsman in the last 6-7 years.............................My two Sportsmans 450's in 2006 never had it!!.........And I am not sure if they did in 2007 either!!........................Just to let you know......Caper..........

Old 11-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Range Rover

Myself, I would get a 2001-2003, I just like the style better and they can be had for a really good price. Why those years? I like the front-end diff/clutch setup better. I also think they look better, but that is personal prefrence :-)
I could take or leave EBS or ADC ;it makes no difference to me. My 2000 has it and I can dal with it, but I tend to brake correctly (mountain biker). I like the 1999-2000 also, but there is no reason to get a non-HO, wish I had known that a few years ago.

Steve

Old 12-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

The 05 and later have the plushest ride plus you want radial tires which helps also over bias type with ride smoothness.....

Old 12-01-2007, 12:59 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> and the price difference is minimal on used bikes plus you get a warranty </end quote></div>

Your not serious? A girl Won a 04 660 grizzly and never even started it, It was $9000 OTD (In Canada) to buy it at a dealership here, and my friend bought it off her for $7000.
He put only 500 miles easy on over the last 3 years and wants to sell for $6000. Thats a $3000 savings for a ATV with 400 miles on it! PS. the warranty was only 6 months long and was over before he knew he had one.

My last 3 ATVs were bought used ,, I saved big. My SP500 had 800 miles and looked mint (see pics Yellow one) and was $5700 Canadian, a new Sp500 was over$9000. With the $3300 savings I can fix anything that may come up (Nothing did come up and a new SP 500 warranty would be over by now).

I also Had a 2001 450 Foreman and your back will love you when you ride a Sportsman ,its like a riding high powered Sofa.

All that matter to me when buying a used ATV was condition and mileage,I found a 2001 SP500 that was in better shape and had less miles than 05 Sportsman's I was looking at.

EBS came standard on all 500 and up SP's from 98 onwards , On the 500 the biggest change was a 20% more powerful H.O engine in 2001, Not a heck of alot happened after that,In fact some newer changes seem more for the worst.

This ECM computer
Smaller gas tanks
plastic oil tanks
Speedo is needed to operate AWD.

Being some.

I rode a 2001 500 Artic Cat IRS and it also has a super smooth ride if you see a deal on one of those around also.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

You can save a lot if you can find a good used! But if 1 serious problem arises you could have more in a used 1 than buying a new 1. What would you pay to an engine rebuilt or trans or diff repaired, ever see the beating most atvs get?

Old 12-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Grizz 700EPS rides like a dream as well. Very plush

Old 12-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Trailblazer

I buy used ATV's all the time & this is why. In MN, an 07 SP 500 will cost you $5300. With tax, title, a winch, the price jumps to $6224. I just bought a 03 SP 700 with a winch, aftermarket bumbers, & only 112 miles for $4600. My friend, yesterday, bought a 04 Rubicon, winch , plow, gun rack, only 61 miles on it for $4500. We don't have to pay tax on used machines. With Craig's list, you can find lots of used ATVs.

I won't buy a used machine with over 200 miles & it must have a winch. You can tell really easy if someone has beat on a machine with that low of miles. I always try to buy from someone who is older. I remember what I did to machines in my 20's. Once you visit their home, you know how well they take care of things.

If I had the money, I would buy NEW every 3 years. I don't so that is why I buy used.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:07 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I won't buy a used machine with over 200 miles</end quote></div>

I have to give more leeway than that. I think it,s because we have a dependable 97 ATV with 7000 miles and my old 89 Big Bear was also high mileage and was rather abused[img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img] and I sold that to a Friend a year ago who rides alot and who he is still my friend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I mean if these ATV cant take some kind or roughness and are risky after only say 1000 to 2000 miles than I just would not want it at all "New or used".

If a sales man told me my new $7000 -$9000 Canadian ATV will start being undependable after 2000 miles I would find another sport to get into.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Trailblazer

By no means am I saying that machines with higher miles are not dependable or not to buy them. They are meant to last for years with thousands of miles. I just like to buy them with as low of miles as possible & with as little use as possible. If you are not in a hurry, these types of machines do pop-up. Especially with all the free websites to sell stuff. The hard part is that when one of these "cherry" machines comes up for sale, it is usually sold FAST.

Quick Reply: Okay.... I Want To Buy A Polaris Sportsman....