Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Winch

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Winch

Went out to plow today with the new plow setup. Everything worked great until the winch wouldn't go up anymore. It started intermittently and then quit. I could let rope out, but it would only click when I pressed the "in" button.

I called the dealer as he was closing and he figured it was the solenoid. He had another one and waited around 15 min. 'till I got there. I made the exchange and was up and plowing again in no time.

He exchanged the Polaris solenoid with a Warn. He said it is a lot better - wouldn't take much.

A good dealer can make all the difference in your attitude toward a machine.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Polaris Winch

amen brother to that post.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] glad he gave you a good one as well.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polaris Winch

Did he charge you for the new one?...............Or was it bought long ago?...........Caper.........

Old 12-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default Polaris Winch

I just bought it this Aug. but he didn't even ask when I bought it, he just gave me a new one in exchange for the old one.

He even told me exactly where it was under the right front fender mounted to the frame over a piece of angle iron and stayed with me on the phone until I was done (must have been a slow night).

Old 12-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer
Default Polaris Winch

Man that is excelent service,I hope I get service like that my bike is only 1 week old never tried winch yet, its a polaris winch but dealer said it was made by warn?

Old 12-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris Winch

It is a chinese winch that Polaris brand labeled. Mine lasted a few months & the winch would make noise but would not turn. Took back & dealer exchanged. Sounds like they are getting used to getting them back. Think I will stick with Warn. Just getting ready to go out & use mine since we got a few inches of snow. WHOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Range Rover
Default Polaris Winch

Wow, Dave, hope my bad plow luck did not rub off on you. Is that Winch say Warn on it? It is made in China? I noticed a huge price difference in some of the warn winches and wondered what the difference is. I thought the solenoid was out on my Gravely tractor one time and got to looking at it and found that a mouse had crammed it full of grass for a nest. I cleaned it out and it turned the starter. I'll keep an eye on mine. Wish it would go out right now, while my warranty is still good. I don't trust my dealer like I would yours. My car dealer is like that, but not sure about my ATV dealer. Still have not gotten the new plow mount. I think I will have to remove the atv mount also. MORE WORK.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default Polaris Winch

Winch says "Polaris" on it, but now the solenoid says "Warn" (old one didn't say anything).

Ed - at least you're getting intimate knowledge with all the different types of mounts for popo's. I guess that makes you the resident expert![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Plow system worked great. I just finished plowing my driveway and three neighbors'. We've had a little over 10" in the last day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Range Rover
Default Polaris Winch

10"? We got a dusting and some freezing rain in Ohio and I fired up the woodburner. It must have gotten to 40 here in Ohio today. I almost moved to Minn. in the mid 80s, twin cities Ford plant, but decided against it and went to Atlanta instead and then back here. My winch has a strap that says polaris, but the dealer said it was a 2.5 Warn.
Did you put a full length rope on yours instead of the wire or just an 8ft rope? how hard was it to change out?

Old 12-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default Polaris Winch

It was really nice here today too. I think it got up to 22 deg. with snow showers and sun showers.

I put an 8 ft rope on in place of the wire rope and then when the synthetic rope came I spliced a loop on the end of it and attached it to the loop of the 8'. It is a little more than comfortably fits on the spool, but now that I broke it and spliced it back together and it is really tight on the spool from use, it fits pretty good.

When I took off the wire rope I took out the little "hockey puck" button and taped it to the wire for storage if I ever need it. Then I threaded the new line through the hole and left about a 4" tail. Then started to wind the winch in with the new line on top of the tail (as per the instructions that came with the 8'rope).

If I had it to do again, I wouldn't get the 8' rope. I'd just get the 50' synthetic.

The only nice part about the two ropes is the 8' is red and the 50' is blue. It makes it easy to tell when you are at the end of your rope so to speak.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The hardest part was getting access to the spool. Polaris has a really nice cover on things which keeps it clean, but it makes it hard to work on.

I love the synthetic rope! I doesn't kink, it is lite, safe to use (no recoil when it breaks) and no wire slivers.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Polaris Winch