Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

which fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which fuel

hey guys, i gots another question. my 700 runs pretty good, (except for the new cv that i am replacing) anyway i use just regular 87 octane unlead gas, would it hurt if i used a lil higher octane like 89-unlead plus, or 90-premium unlead or 91-super unlead. would it make it run better or burn something up. thanks for yall's advise. i love this site cuz you guys are lots of help.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default which fuel

I run nonoxygenated fuel which is usually 92 octane. It is probably a little bit of a waste in my wheeler, but I've got a couple small machines (chain saw and outboard) that need it to keep the plastic parts from getting brittle. It is just easier for me to keep one kind of fuel in the garage.

No matter what you use, make sure to use some type of fuel stabilizer (Sea Foam or Sta-bil) in EVERY tank. Ethanol gas goes bad really fast.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:43 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Default which fuel

Actually, there is more explosive force (faster burning fuel) in the lower octane stuff. With the higher octane, the power comes from advancing the timing as this type of fuel burns slower and needs a little more timing to complete the burn. If it (hirer octane) ignites sooner, the burn is complete by the time the piston reaches TD center and produces extra power.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default which fuel

just use the 87 as thats what it was designed for any thing would be a waste unless like what they mentioned about that crap gas. luckly up here we dont have that stuff.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default which fuel

Save you money and stick with the 87. With the extra cash you saved yourself you can get an accessory for you quad.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default which fuel

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Brainerdian
No matter what you use, make sure to use some type of fuel stabilizer (Sea Foam or Sta-bil) in EVERY tank. Ethanol gas goes bad really fast.</end quote></div>

^^^^

How much seafoam are you using per tank ? I plan to start using it on my quads (one at a time) to see how much (if any) difference it makes.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default which fuel

i was told that a buddy of mine who sells it says he uses it once in the beginning of the year and once at the end of year.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default which fuel

I use 87 in my cars, and 89 for everything else. I don't think any engine NEEDS a higher octane unless it has high compression and/or the timing is advanced to the point where it pings with lower octane fuel.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default which fuel

89,91,89,91 and so on..every other tank and polaris gas treatment every other tank also..does it even matter,probaly not..

Old 12-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default which fuel

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>How much seafoam are you using per tank ? I plan to start using it on my quads (one at a time) to see how much (if any) difference it makes.</end quote></div>

I use roughly two ounces for five gallons. That is about 60 ml.

I haven't noticed any difference on my larger machines, but in my small ones (chain saw, lawn mower, snow thrower, leaf blower, wife's moped) it makes all the difference in the world. It has eliminated hard starting, rough idling and hesitation in all these appliances. My logic is that it'll help the larger ones too.

BTW I use sta-bil during the year and Sea Foam in the spring. No reason other than I've found the Sea Foam does a great job at cleaning.

Quick Reply: which fuel