Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Storing Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing Sportsman

I'm in the Army and I will be gone for approximately 14 weeks starting in January. I bought my X2 500 back in April and it hasn't gone for more than 30 days without me riding it. What do I need to do to mine to prep it for storage? It will be kept in a locked covered building. Thanks for your help!

Old 12-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

you could add some gas treatment and check you coolant strenght.. you could put on a battery tender..

Old 12-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's only 3.5 months..I would just add fuel "sta-bil" to it and run the motor until it goes through the carbs!!..............The battery should be fine if your in the warmer part of the country!!........If temps are below freezing.......Just take the battery out , or get someone start the quad up after two months .....................Caper..........

Old 12-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Range Rover

You might want to put a plastic tarp under the entire quad to keep moisture out of it. It would help keep everything from rusting. The sta-bil is a biggie and the battery tender would help. You got some great answers. You guys on this site are great, with all the helpful hints. Oh, and take care of yourself too!

Old 12-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

Well, after I posted, I found my manual and looked through it. It said to add the fuel stabilizer, top off the fuel tanks, add app. 3 tablespoons of oil to where the spark plug goes, then screw the spark plug back in...and then lift the quad off of the ground on jack stands or something of that sort. Thanks for the input thus far! Any fuel stabilizer that you guys recommend??? Would you put the oil with the spark plug?

Old 12-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer

Oh, also, what is a battery tender exactly? The manual suggests this. Or should I just disconnect the cables all together???

Old 12-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Range Rover

I have only ever sometimes, put a little lightweight ( sewing machine) oil in the sparkplug chamber. I would advise the use of sta-bil fuel stabilizer though.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: NK711

Oh, also, what is a battery tender exactly? The manual suggests this. Or should I just disconnect the cables all together???</end quote></div>

a battery tender is like a small battery charger that you can leave plugged in for long periods of time, it sences when the battery need charging, and keeps it a full charge. its great for cooler climates and storage. they also say you will get more life out of your battery by using one. if the weather in your area stays above freezing i wouldn't worry too much about the battery.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shut the fuel off when running the stay-bilizer thru and run carbs dry ,

Old 12-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer

Personally, I would not turn the fuel supply off and run the carb dry.
The reason for this it would be harder to start when you are ready to
use it again, plus the fuel stabilizer will prevent anything from gumming up.
Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Storing Sportsman