Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Talk to me about Clutches

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk to me about Clutches

I am just wanting my 2000 500 Sportsman to engage better when in high, it appears that I have to give it lots of gas to get the engagement to happen. That and I am pretty sure it is slipping at times, but can not prove this.

So can I get this by installing a different clutch spring? (I have the Engagementchart.gif that show all of the springs and their colors, but I am not sure what it all means.)

or does it require a clutch kit?

I do mainly trail riding with a bit of technical steep stuff along with some mud every once in a while. Little bit of rock crawling.

Steve

Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

steve, just adding a spring will bring your engagement up but realluy if you want better belt grap then weights are what you need as well. hows the belt look? how many miles on the bike. alot of guys on here put a kit in there 500 as say its night and day. make sure your clutch isnt all worn out as well.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on what stenori says but I think you probbly need a new belt before a clutch kit.
Let me know how the belt and clutch is and I can give you some fine 500 clutching tips

Old 12-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Range Rover

Belt is about two years old, first one was a poster child of all that can go wrong with a belt: chunks came off, thin in one spot, frayed in one spot . . . I have not looked at the belt in a while, I am going to remove the cover here and see what spinrg is in there and see what the belt looks like.

I'll open her up here in a bit, and let you know what I find.

Steve

Old 12-27-2007, 11:43 PM
Range Rover

Just went and opened the clutch cover, found that last time I put the gasket on wrong and it was not doing its job, made sure to get it on correctly this time. Belt looks really good and new still. I have the light blue primary spring. I purchased my quad used back in 2003 and the speedo was not tracking mileage, I replaced the speed sensor just a month ago and the miles now are 2348.1 (need to add at least 500-750 miles to that, by just me over the years) 539.1 Hours. Should I be able to move the primary in about 1/4"? By in I mean push the outside edge in towards the belt. Can someone that can replace CV boots, remove and install a clutch spring or kit? Do you really need the clutch tools?

Steve

Old 12-28-2007, 07:10 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can put the clutch parts in yourself really easy.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

Anything to add?

Steve

Old 01-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer

That is a LOT of belt to sheave clearance, you sure the belt is not worn? Maybe just really even wear. If it is 1.77" is normal belt width. If it is truely not worn you need to look a little deeper, into the clutches, maybe the secondary needs a spacer or 2 removed to fix belt deflection. Just some thinks to look at... The manual recommends .20 belt to sheave clearance, just so you know.. Any more and it will slam into the belt and engage harsher that it should...

Old 01-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would clean them out w/ compressed air if you have it as there will be alot of belt dust in there. the blet should be sitting up a little in the secondary clutch.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a stock blue green spring. A 1/4 in before egagement is excessive. Take a belt width measurement and we will go from there. Also how hi in the secondary clutch is the belt sitting? Doc

Quick Reply: Talk to me about Clutches