Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ATV Flag Whips

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Flag Whips

I need to buy a couple of flag whips. IHere are some tentative thoughts....as I've been doing research, but I'd appreciate to hear your opinions. So far, I'm thinking if I want to spend the money, get a LED lighted one. If I don't then, the regular 3 pc break down kind sound nice. I should get a quick release spring base and something around 8ft tall.

1. Tell me about what you have....
2. Please advise me on what you reccomend if you had to buy another one...

pictures are always good too... Thanks

Old 01-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Flag Whips

The main thing is to check the requirements of the area you are going to be riding at. Different places have different rules. Some places specify what the top flag can be as far as size and writing, number of flags on a whip and some places have a minumum flag height. Like at Little Sahara in Oklahoma your top flag has to be all orange with no writing on it and it must touch a bar that you drive under that is 10' off of the ground.

I have several of the standard white fiberglass ones but the ones I like the best are the "neverbreak" fiberglass ones that have a much thicker diameter. They are stiffer and stay more vertical when at speed instead of the pole laying way down and the flag trailing you a few feet off of the ground.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Range Rover
Default ATV Flag Whips

Do you have any trail riding problems with a stiffer whip pole? I was thinking the flexing was a good thing?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Range Rover
Default ATV Flag Whips

OK, I did my research last year and after watching my two kids roll their quads down a hill with a spring equipped flag I purchased two check out the website------> http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/flags.htm and get a flag spring!!!! I don't see much of a need for a quick release, I just velcro tie my flag to the handle bars during transport. They are thick fiberglass and NOT metal like CB antenna's that are not allowed at certain riding area's!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Flag Whips

There are a couple of things I do not like about the thinner fiberglass poles compared to the thicker poles. The idea of a whip is to make you easier to see when cresting the top of dunes etc... The small diameter poles end up laying down at speed eleminating there whole usefullness. When jumping or on big bumps the small diameter poles end up "whipping" you in the back of the helmet or shoulders. Also if you end up rolling your quad the bigger diameter whips will hold up better and not break as easily as the small diameter ones.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Flag Whips

I have to have one to legally ride on the roads around here. I use a collapsible telescopic flag that I have mounted to a quick disconnect. When I ride on the road I just take it out of the saddle bag and snap it into place. Around the farm a flag simply isn't practical due to overhanging branches and brush. So when I get back home I just collapse the thing, unhook it and slip it into the saddlebags.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer
Default ATV Flag Whips

Pop it brand flag. I use the taller 2 pc type. I have had them on all my quads, no problems under any condirtions I have been in. Using the product going on 8 years now.