Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch Kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Kits

Hey all!

Just wondering, i am considering buying a Dalton industries clutch kit for my 2005 polaris sportsman 4x4 is it worth the money? I trail ride the most with a bit of mud involved but mostly enjoy technical riding with a challenge. Any feedback would be awesome!

Thanks

Old 01-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default Clutch Kits

I clutched my 700 & love it. Better initial throttle response & pulls harder through the midrange.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Kits

Good investment

Old 01-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clutch Kits

i would recommend dalton for sure.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer
Default Clutch Kits

Just put one on my 700. Absolutely worth the money. Night and day difference.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Range Rover
Default Clutch Kits

I put an EPI clutch kit on mine and what a difference. Some atvs react differently to different clutch kits. I've heard good and bad on all. The bad thing I can say about mine is that it took about 10mph or so off top end speed. I love all the other areas of it though.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Kits

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JAMIEZ71

I put an EPI clutch kit on mine and what a difference. Some atvs react differently to different clutch kits. I've heard good and bad on all. The bad thing I can say about mine is that it took about 10mph or so off top end speed. I love all the other areas of it though.</end quote></div>

Why would you loose top speed??? The clutch has 2 pulleys that open and close, you didn't change them. So top speed should be the same, unless the clutch kit is too agressive that you lost top rpm.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Kits

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 4stn4cr

Hey all!

Just wondering, i am considering buying a Dalton industries clutch kit for my 2005 polaris sportsman 4x4 is it worth the money? I trail ride the most with a bit of mud involved but mostly enjoy technical riding with a challenge. Any feedback would be awesome!

Thanks</end quote></div>

Your stock clutch is set about perfect for that type of riding, HeelClicker use a differant style weight that gives tighter belt grip at slow/low rpm use.
It won't give any performance increase, maybe a little, but is adjustable to get it set perfect and maybe with less slip your belt/clutches will last longer.

I installed HC on my 500 and belt grips tighter pullng out, which helps with accelleration the 1st 50 feet and with the adjustability I could set my rpm a little closer to the rev limit and gained a couple mph top end.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clutch Kits

it all depends on the set up and what you do wheather you lose top end or not. you can loose speed on top depending onthe shift out rates and top rpm which if you go to high your loosing power anyways.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Range Rover
Default Clutch Kits

I haven't seen any clutch kit that doesn't loose at least a few mph on top end. The kit I have is designed for 27" tires and heavy pulling. It doesn't engage until about 1000rpms higher than stock. With the heavier weights and the higher engagement and the different helix that was put in, it changes how fast the belt rides up the sheeves, how hard it engages and so on. A lot of clutch kits don't come with the helix that is machined differently than stock.

Quick Reply: Clutch Kits