Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator Chain Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator Chain Adjustment?

My buddys chain is really loose on his 2004 predator 500. Neithor of us are mechanicly inclined and were having some trouble trying to figure out how to adjust the chain tension. Can somone please help us out cause we defiantly need some help. What bolts need to be loosened so that we can get rid of all the access slack on the chain?
thanks [img]i/expressions/brokenheart.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2008, 04:30 AM
Trailblazer

somone here has got to know how to adjust the chain tension on a predator 500. ????

Old 01-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer

It's your lucky day!!! Hi, I'm Brian from Wausau, W.I. I actually have (on disk) pictures on how to do so, so if you need more than what I will type, let me know and I'll send the chapter you'll need. And if you run into extra problems (like I did and had to teach myself with the help of my friend"mechanic") I can send them to you and or talk to you via telephone while you're doing it..
THINGS YOU'LL NEED, 9/16" DEEP WELL SOCKET, 9/16" WRENCH, NEEDLE PUNCH or "OLD bolt" YOUR NOT AFRAID OF DAMAGING, AND TORQUE WRENCH.
1. (A) Having your friends predator in front of you, feed a RATCHET (not pull) strap with one end on the rear "bumper" grab bar and feed the other end around your axle" I've found it easier to go through the opening where the rear shock is mounted to the swingarm at the bottom point" looping it around the hard plastic "Rear eccentric housing" and back up to the bar, hooking that end to the rear bumper as well.
(B) Push the back end of your wheeler down (as much as you can) and begin ratcheting it down further. Go down to the point to where it is at it's lowest point ( where the shock is completely compressed on the "rubber stopper" , that's the lowest point OF CONTACT. THERE YOU CAN CHECK YOUR CHAIN DEFLECTION WHICH IN "BOOK TERMS" SHOULD BE 1/4"-3/8" (0.6-0.9CM). All that means is that there shouldn't really be any slack at this position and if there is, then you know that you need to tighten it.
TIGHTENING THE CHAIN....
Leave the wheeler "strapped" in the previous position.
With your 9/16" wrench, socket and ratchet,
Loosen the 2 "ECCENTRIC CLAMP BOLTS". Those are located at the end of your swing arm, by the eccentric grease fitting.
Then put your punch "or old bolt" through your rear sprocket and into the hole or "groove" (located on the side ) of the eccentric axle housing.
Push the back of your wheeler foreward to tighten the chain, backwards to loosen it.
YOU MIGHT NOTICE THAT THE REAR ECCENTRIC (BEARING CARRIER) MIGHT SLIGHTLY MOVE AWAY FROM THE PLACE IT SEATS INTO THE REAR SWINGARM, BUT DON'T WORRY, IF SO, TAKE THE REAR LEFT WHEEL OFF AND TAP THE "ECCENTRIC HOUSING" OVER WITH A HAMMER AND PUNCH( OR OLD BOLT). (BY THE WAY, IF YOU NEED TO DO SO, MAKE SURE THAT YOUR WHEELER IS SUPPORTED UNDERNEATH THE REAR AXLE OR UNDERNEATH THE SWINGARM AND THE RIGHT REAR TIRE IS OFF THE GROUND. OTHERWISE YOU MIGHT FIND THAT THE ECCENTRIC HOUSING WON'T SLIDE OVER IN THE REAR SWINGARM HOUSING!!!.
* YOUR CHAIN IS TIGHT ENOUGH WHEN YOU GRAB THE CHAIN INBETWEEN THE REAR AXLE AND THE FRONT SPROCKET AND THERE IS HARDLY ANY DEFLECTION (BUT JUST HARDLY ANY).
BEING SATISFIED WITH EVERYTHING, You can now tighten the two "ECCENTRIC LOCKING BOLTS". when doing so, Tighten them both a little at a time. MAKE SURE YOU USE A TORQUE WRENCH!!!! And tighten them with the torque wrench on the nuts!!
THE TORQUE SPECIFIED IS 35 FOOT POUNDS,(47 nEWTON mETERS)
DO NOT OVER TORQUE THEM!!!!! DAMAGE TO THE BOLTS, NUTS, BRACKETS THAT THEY TIGHTEN, AND PRE-MATURE BEARING FAILURE MAY RESULT FROM DOING SO!!!!
Finally, you put the tire back on (if you had to take it off to move the eccentric housing over in the swing arm).
Release the ratchet strap
Lube the chain,
And your "adventure" of chain tightening is done.
ANY questions or concerns, feel free to contact me here @ bzaj, or at bdzajackowski@aol.com.
Otherwise you can also call me @ 715-212-0309 (cell).
I hope it works out for you and "GRIP IT AND RIP IT!!!"
P.S. DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE PUNCH OUT OF YOUR SPROCKET!!

Old 01-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BZaj

It's your lucky day!!! Hi, I'm Brian from Wausau, W.I. I actually have (on disk) pictures on how to do so, so if you need more than what I will type, let me know and I'll send the chapter you'll need. And if you run into extra problems (like I did and had to teach myself with the help of my friend"mechanic") I can send them to you and or talk to you via telephone while you're doing it..

THINGS YOU'LL NEED, 9/16" DEEP WELL SOCKET, 9/16" WRENCH, NEEDLE PUNCH or "OLD bolt" YOUR NOT AFRAID OF DAMAGING, AND TORQUE WRENCH.

1. (A) Having your friends predator in front of you, feed a RATCHET (not pull) strap with one end on the rear "bumper" grab bar and feed the other end around your axle" I've found it easier to go through the opening where the rear shock is mounted to the swingarm at the bottom point" looping it around the hard plastic "Rear eccentric housing" and back up to the bar, hooking that end to the rear bumper as well.

(B) Push the back end of your wheeler down (as much as you can) and begin ratcheting it down further. Go down to the point to where it is at it's lowest point ( where the shock is completely compressed on the "rubber stopper" , that's the lowest point OF CONTACT. THERE YOU CAN CHECK YOUR CHAIN DEFLECTION WHICH IN "BOOK TERMS" SHOULD BE 1/4"-3/8" (0.6-0.9CM). All that means is that there shouldn't really be any slack at this position and if there is, then you know that you need to tighten it.

TIGHTENING THE CHAIN....

Leave the wheeler "strapped" in the previous position.

With your 9/16" wrench, socket and ratchet,

Loosen the 2 "ECCENTRIC CLAMP BOLTS". Those are located at the end of your swing arm, by the eccentric grease fitting.

Then put your punch "or old bolt" through your rear sprocket and into the hole or "groove" (located on the side ) of the eccentric axle housing.

Push the back of your wheeler foreward to tighten the chain, backwards to loosen it.

YOU MIGHT NOTICE THAT THE REAR ECCENTRIC (BEARING CARRIER) MIGHT SLIGHTLY MOVE AWAY FROM THE PLACE IT SEATS INTO THE REAR SWINGARM, BUT DON'T WORRY, IF SO, TAKE THE REAR LEFT WHEEL OFF AND TAP THE "ECCENTRIC HOUSING" OVER WITH A HAMMER AND PUNCH( OR OLD BOLT). (BY THE WAY, IF YOU NEED TO DO SO, MAKE SURE THAT YOUR WHEELER IS SUPPORTED UNDERNEATH THE REAR AXLE OR UNDERNEATH THE SWINGARM AND THE RIGHT REAR TIRE IS OFF THE GROUND. OTHERWISE YOU MIGHT FIND THAT THE ECCENTRIC HOUSING WON'T SLIDE OVER IN THE REAR SWINGARM HOUSING!!!.

* YOUR CHAIN IS TIGHT ENOUGH WHEN YOU GRAB THE CHAIN INBETWEEN THE REAR AXLE AND THE FRONT SPROCKET AND THERE IS HARDLY ANY DEFLECTION (BUT JUST HARDLY ANY).

BEING SATISFIED WITH EVERYTHING, You can now tighten the two "ECCENTRIC LOCKING BOLTS". when doing so, Tighten them both a little at a time. MAKE SURE YOU USE A TORQUE WRENCH!!!! And tighten them with the torque wrench on the nuts!!

THE TORQUE SPECIFIED IS 35 FOOT POUNDS,(47 nEWTON mETERS)

DO NOT OVER TORQUE THEM!!!!! DAMAGE TO THE BOLTS, NUTS, BRACKETS THAT THEY TIGHTEN, AND PRE-MATURE BEARING FAILURE MAY RESULT FROM DOING SO!!!!

Finally, you put the tire back on (if you had to take it off to move the eccentric housing over in the swing arm).

Release the ratchet strap

Lube the chain,

And your "adventure" of chain tightening is done.

ANY questions or concerns, feel free to contact me here @ bzaj, or at bdzajackowski@aol.com.

Otherwise you can also call me @ 715-212-0309 (cell).

I hope it works out for you and "GRIP IT AND RIP IT!!!"

P.S. DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE PUNCH OUT OF YOUR SPROCKET!!</end quote></div>

thanks alot bro. you just made my day. my friend who has the wheeler is siked. Ill let ya know if we have trouble.
AWSOME

Old 01-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer

Not a problem, I know how nice it is to get help at times. Also, if you have a problem identifying a part or something, I can also take a picture of it on mine and e-mail it to you, if it would help. Let me know anything I can do to give you a hand.
Talk to you later.
Brian

Old 01-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BZaj

Not a problem, I know how nice it is to get help at times. Also, if you have a problem identifying a part or something, I can also take a picture of it on mine and e-mail it to you, if it would help. Let me know anything I can do to give you a hand.

Talk to you later.

Brian</end quote></div>

if you could send me a pic of the part that you have to stick the punch in that would be awsome. Thats the only thing I dont really understand. My email is
nyrocketkid@yahoo.com
thanks again bro