Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Grinding in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008 | 11:41 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Grinding in reverse

Hey guys I just bought a 2000 Sportsman 500RSE 4x4, everything is great, but have encountered a few snags. I am planning on my first trail ride and just want to make sure its in tip top shape.
1. when in reverse it makes a grinding noise but is still functional.
2. when in neutral or in gear the indicator lights don't work. Only in Reverse.
3. Can only pull start. I can push the switch to start but just hear a clicking noise.
I know these sound major but I'm willing to try to make it happen any ways. I live in Dallas and a honest good mechanic might be in order as well. Thanks guys!

Old 02-15-2008 | 11:46 PM
Trailblazer

Well on the just clicking when you hit the starter... here's a list of possibilities: 1. the battery may be weak 2. check for loose connections, at the battery, the starter, and the solenoid 3. the starter may be having issues, pull clean and inspect 4. the starter solenoid may not be working properly.

Old 02-16-2008 | 08:31 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

did you get the manual w/ the bike? if so go in and look at the dispaly area and see how you van scroll thru to find the voltage that the battery is putting out while w/ the key on w/ bike off and w/ the bike running. w/ running check to see what its putting out for volts and if its 13+ then its charging fine. w/ the key on and a fully charged battery and if its only clicking, jump the 2 big wires on the solnoie and if it turns over then the solnoide is bad. any way to adjustthe shifting linkage to make sure its going al the way into reverse. your dispaly should be showing all the gears when your in them. if not maybe the trany switch is mesing up.

Old 02-16-2008 | 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

Is it fully engaging in reverse or grinding while trying to shift.If grinding while shifting , turn your idle down a bit for starters, if that doesnt fix it , put lever in nuetral and adjust both shifting rods so they line up perfecly straight with the holes, check for wear on the ball ends too.If gringig while already in gear it has a tranny problem, is it jumping when you go down hill in reverse?

Old 02-16-2008 | 12:17 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Yes, it is in gear and goes in gear fine. Just when I give it gas it will start to grind. But it is moving in reverse. I will try to adjust the linkage today. I will get back later with the outcome. Thanks

Old 02-16-2008 | 12:18 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I'm gonna dedicate the rest of the day to my 4 wheeler. I will get back later with a report. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2008 | 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

What did you find?

Old 02-16-2008 | 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like something internal in hte trans to me the reverse chain isn't sitting right idk when it is in reverse the chain in the trans is in use but it is alwayus spinning no mater what gear it is in. Check the oil in the transe there should be a lil dip stick on my scrambler it has a lil loop on the end just pops out it has a high and a low line.

Old 02-18-2008 | 10:34 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Alright guys thanks for all your help...I got alot of the kinks out. Unfortunately my Reverse is still grinding in reverse. But there is a ray of light, A buddy from church has the same model 4 wheeler only in a 03. He said he had the same problem and he fixed his himself. He is a Toyota master mechanic here in Dallas. Said he would be willing to fix it on his own time sometime this week. Thank the Lord! Anyhow I will continue to give updates and pics from the ride in two weeks. Thanks again guys!

Old 02-18-2008 | 10:48 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

sounds like internal problems for sure. good luck and let us know.

Quick Reply: Grinding in reverse