Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Thinking of getting ............

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting ............

I have dicovered that for my riding area here in canada the 2001 Raptor 660 i just bought wont cut it I need 4 x 4 i have an offer to trade it for a 1996 Scambler 400 2 stoke the raptor has been done right up including the suspention what i am worried about is being bored with a lack of power .... or does the 400 have lots being a 2 stroke ??how are these machines with the stage 5 kits from aelin any thing you fellows can tell me is very much appreciated thank you

Old 02-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why would trade for a 5 year older bike? seems to me if your looking to go into a 4x4(awd) then speed wouldnt be as important. personaly i would go w/ a scramble 500 4 stroke and have more reliablity for the long run. just my .02

Old 02-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree with Stendori. I would see about finding a used Scrambler 500 4-stroke. It's a bulletproof engine. The 400 2-stroke does have (did have is more accurate) gobs of power but makes a racket. In alot of places 2 strokes are becoming a thing of the past because of the noise and smoke. I'm going on a (once a year) trail ride in Franconia Notch in NH on Sunday. They are not allowing 2 strokes or 2wd because of the noise and pollution. It will be on a groomed trail that goes into the White Mountain National Forest so their rules apply. The 2 stroke is probably faster than the 4-stroke 500 but having had a 250 2 stroke, I soon got tired of the noise and the constant chainsaw smell (mixed oil and gas). Hope this helps.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you guys for your input I realy like the input as for the noise it does not bother me at all i rode a 92 LT 250 suzuki and loved it but I can see how the noise could be annoying to other ppl well how does the 500 4 stroke fair in power compared to othe quads ............. Stendori I am not really worried about the speed more the snap I am a 280lbs man so i need a quad with some snap lol and i like the sport look of the Scrambler compared to some of the othe heavier 4x4s how are they ???? thanks agon for all your input

Old 02-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The Scrambler weighs 571 lbs. according to Polaris website, the 500 Sportsman 731 lbs. I have a 2-up quad and have carried my 350 lbs. with a 200 lb. passenger. While not neck-snapping with that kind of weight it pulled without a problem. Plenty strong. No speedster but plenty strong. PS my quad is heavier than the Sportsman by about 25 lbs.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey the 400 Scrambler with a few mods will eat up a 660 Raptor.I would try to find a newer one than the 96.Say a 98-2000 they have front drive shafts and not the 3 chain system.You may like a 500 Scrambler but you wont have the power of the 660 no matter what you do to it.Personally I wouldnt trade my 500 for 3 Raptors.I would love another 400 Scrammy to go along with my 500.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Renegade 800 if you can afford it.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

again guys thanks , I went and rode the 400 today it was so gutless no power at all he , come to fin out he just had it rebuilt and had the oil injection sysem reaired at the same time ..... well he never thought to drain the mixed gas out of it so it was running oil injection and premixed fuel so needless to say it was lacking power ... itold him to fix it so i can come back to try it again next week other then that the bike was in great shape so hopefully it ll run better and have the power i need ...... FFWFLH what mods do recomend to do ???? and will you get any top end out of it for use in the dunes as well as the mud ???

Old 02-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

o well my 1996 400l sport stock everything has loads of power you just have to keep a good plug in it clean carb good gass i don't mix the gas i use the oild injection and never rebuilt it. i can pull weelys do burnouts. anything i whant. it also its realy good in teh mud for a 2/4 you just have to aproach it with a a lil bit of a run and hit it just right so you don't bottom out eh strait axle but i can keep of with the sportsmans. i have all the skid plates and winch. i hit over 75 mph on my sport. on a street in upstait ny the sportsmans were behind me doing 65 and i was gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no need for anything in my mind.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

alot of people just don't drive them right and keep teh cleaned out it has nutral so it isn't a hard thing to do if your riding in the trail you just have to do a lil burnout every once in awhile to clear it out.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting ............