Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

allmost crunched 1 week old SPHO (has this happened to you?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2001, 06:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just woundering if this has happened to any of you. I have a 60ft 50-60 deg hill I climb every night on my way back home. With the rain yesterday and higher temps it was very slick. But hey the might SPHO can climb hills dam near vertical. Anyway I was standing leaning foward with handle bars just about waist level when she quite (my eye got as big as my tires) hit the breaks and slid 3/4 of the way back down. I check every thing to find what had put me in this spot. I could not believe my eyes some part of me had hit the kill switch!!! So I started her up didn't bother back the rest of the way down she jump up the hill just like I had started from the bottom. Man ya gota love true 4x4 and lots of power!!!

Old 01-15-2001, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

i have a 99 sportsman 500 and i went up a hill with someone on the back and it was muddy couldnt make it to the top locked the brakes up and i slide with the brakes locked up all the way back down the hill that felt weird slidding backwards not knowing whats going to happen then i had the person hop off and tryed it again and i wasnt light on the throttle either floored it went right up the hill

Old 01-15-2001, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Rowdy

This past summer I was out riding my wifes new trail boss and we were doing some short, but steep hill climbs. I was doing pretty good on them until I didn't get enough speed on one of them. About 3/4 of the way up, I started slowing, so I shifted my weight around to gain a little traction. Except while doing this, I turned the machine a little off the trail. I had enough speed to get to the top of the hill, but I hit a small diameter tree at the top of the hill. I thought I could run over the tree, but I didn't have enough speed. I slide about 20 feet back down the hill and hit something that flipped it over backward. Fortunately, the machine pinned itself upside down on a tree instead of upside down on me! My buddy and I rolled it over, started it up and rode off. I did end up with a dented bumper on it that the wife wasn't to happy about

Old 01-15-2001, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grizhunterr,
Please dont think im tring to preach to you,but climbing any muddy hill with someone on the back of it is asking for trouble and I hope because you were lucky once that you'll maybe realize that and not try it again?
Bill

Old 01-15-2001, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

yes i learned my lesson for sure

Old 01-15-2001, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Guys~
You think it's scary sliding backwards down a hill on a new ATV? Try it in a $20,000 truck!! Now that will make you crap your pants!! Yep, it had rained almost all day, so my friend and I decided to try climbing some hills...I had my Geo Tracker 4x4, he had his dad's 98 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4! This hill is usually just dirt, but the rain made the top layer about 3 inches of slick mud! Well, my friend hopped in with me and suprisingly, the Tracker made it to the top! Well, then we hopped in his dad's chevy...front wheels got almost to the top when forward progress stopped...he locked up the brakes and down the hill we started to slide! We slid about 40 feet, off the trail, and finally stopped...neither one of us could say anything!! It took a while to get the truck out, but needless to say, he hasn't borrowed his dad's truck since that day!!

Old 01-16-2001, 08:45 AM
Range Rover

MagnumMudMan
How do you like your Uni filters?
So no body has hit the kill switch but me?

Old 01-16-2001, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Rowdy

I really like the Uni filters. They were only like $25 a piece and flow really well. I noticed more of a difference on the trail boss than I did on the Magnum. I didn't really buy them for the improved flow, rather I hate buying paper filters only to through them away after a few dirty rides. I haven't really been on any dusty rides since I bought them, but I think they will filter almost as well as the paper filter. When your stock paper filter gets dirty, I would throw it away and invest a little more for the Uni Filters.

Old 01-16-2001, 03:45 PM
Range Rover

MagnumMudMan

I think I will try a UNI. Where can I find them?

Old 01-16-2001, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

Rowdy

I got mine from Shadetree Outdoors. You can call them at 1-888-Shadetree. Also, Dennis Kirk www.denniskirk.com carries them for Polaris. Uni also has a website at www.unifilter.com. They may have a local dealer locator in their website. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: allmost crunched 1 week old SPHO (has this happened to you?)