Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

broke 4wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broke 4wheel drive

Today I blew out the 4wheel drive on my scrammy! I was being taped so i kinda seen what happened. I was spinning on a snowbank in 2wheel drive and it looks like my 4 wheel drive tried 2 kick in. The front tire kicked up a little snow I heard a klonk and that was it. 4wheel drive doesnt work now. Has this happend to anyone else and why would it do this? I hope it is covered under warrinty only bought it a month ago.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: D-CUP

Today I blew out the 4wheel drive on my scrammy! I was being taped so i kinda seen what happened. I was spinning on a snowbank in 2wheel drive and it looks like my 4 wheel drive tried 2 kick in. The front tire kicked up a little snow I heard a klonk and that was it. 4wheel drive doesnt work now. Has this happend to anyone else and why would it do this? I hope it is covered under warrinty only bought it a month ago.</end quote></div>

Sure sounds like you broke something. I hope Polaris warrants it.
Try not to spin wildly in 2wd in the future. If it starts to spin stop and put it in 4wd. Then go. If you hit 4wd while the tires are moving you will surely bust it again. Ride it like you want it to last a while and it will.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

this is a prob that some people are having with there sportsmans i posted a topic about this and most people didn't but a few did. you should be able to do donuts and spin the tires and drift without the front kicking in. theres deff a problem i hope i don't have with my 4/4 when i get one soon after i sell my scrambler 2/4

Old 03-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Pro Rider

you'll probably have to get a new front diff, or most of it at least

Old 03-17-2008, 07:19 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i havent looked. but if the scrambler has the same front end as the sportsman, then it sounds like the roller cage broke.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

y is this happening soo much i think you should be able to do donuts and stuff in 2/4 without this happening.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree spinter, that is why i got a scrambler so i could play a little. only wanted 4wheel drive for the snow and hunting. when it is in 2wheel drive it should stay in 2wheel drive, right?

Old 03-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Trailbound printed this awhile back.
"My mechanic told me it happended because the excess vibration and static electricity would engaging the magnet in the front diff even with the power/electric current turned off to it with the switch which would thus engfage the AWD with the switch in the off position and rear tires already spinning at 30+ mph."
Don't know if it's correct , but sounds like it makes sense. Don't know how you would fix it.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

idk about yoours but my friends scrambler engages at teh hub so the front diff isn't were the magnet is but the same thing could prob happen in the hub. maby you could ground it out somehow. I have my 2/4 and its a blast i can drift altheway up the hill i wouln't whant to looose that but i whant 4/4

Old 03-18-2008, 12:04 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

I havent looked. but if the scrambler has the same front end as the sportsman, then it sounds like the roller cage broke.</end quote></div>

Yes, the new Scrambler's engages at the front hubs and have the same plastic roller cage weak link.

Never heard of this problem with the two front locking hub system. Maybe two engagement
points can handle the sudden stress better than just one engagement point?

Quick Reply: broke 4wheel drive