Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Drive clutch removal and alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive clutch removal and alignment

Like alot of other people I am trying to fix my creeping problem. I have two 500 Sportsman's. One is fine and the other creeps. I have read the many post on this issue and took everyone's advise so far. I have both Sportsman's apart so I can compare the two. Both seem to have the same amount of play in the one way clutch. I haven't pulled the clutch but the brass washer between the inner clutch sleave and one way clutch appears to look the same on both. And the creeping issue is caused by the belt not moving off the inner clutch sleave so I am assuming the washer is not the problem. However the alignment on the two are different. I have loosen all the motor mounts but am still having trouble getting the motor to stay aligned. Any advice/tips on alignment and also anyway to pull the drive clutch without the special puller? Thanks for all your help!!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The puller threads are 3/4" fine thread - you can go to the hardware store and purchase a bolt in this size. You will have to come up with a 3" long spacer to put between the bolt end and the crankshaft as the bolt threads are not long enough to reach the crankshaft end ( you may find a deep socket that will fit inside) - grease both ends of the spacer before inserting so that you have some lubrication.
Tighten as much as you can to pull the clutch, sometimes a smart tap with a decent hammer is needed to "pop" it off.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the bolt size I will get one. Can anybody help with the alignment?

Old 03-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PolSports

Thanks for the bolt size I will get one. Can anybody help with the alignment?</end quote></div>

They make an alignment tool but if is not too far off you can shim the rear clutch in or out some or shim/ move the motor mount some.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Trailblazer

Rick, I think it might be easier to shim the rear clutch. I never thought about that. I have not taken it off before. Do I need any special tools? I am hoping to fix it tonight.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

if you take the rear clutch off you dont need a puller for it thear is usuly spasers on the shaft behind the rear clutch sounds like you don't have any or need more thay will move the rear clutch out and move the belt away from the inner clutch sleave hope this helps you

Old 03-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you! That sounds exactly like the problem!!

Old 03-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

You align the clutches and then shim to get it perfect. Once thats done you shouldn't need to move shims. They don't change. Something else changed to cause it to be out of alignment. You need to find and fix that problem.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Trailblazer

I guess then I'm back to adjusting the motor position. Again I have not pulled the primary clutch yet but since I don't have much side to side play in the one way clutch I would think it has to be the alignment.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

guessing, but if the one way bushing and washers arent bad and the clutch is completely disenagaging the belt then it rules out the primary clucth from being the issue unless the ebgine has moved or it has a broken mount.

Quick Reply: Drive clutch removal and alignment