Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

hawkeye upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hawkeye upgrades

im looking into some upgrades to my hawkeye for some power. im looking at a TPI valve:
http://www.thunderproducts.com/tpi_valve.htm
this will do basically the same thing as the airbox mod, but WAY better and more efficient. they can be adjusted to whatever ventilation is needed at the time and most importantly, keep water out. but, i need some help with this... which valve should i get, and how many should i get to put on the airbox? thanks for the help!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:57 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Default hawkeye upgrades

Save your money on the TPI Hawkman, it is meant to compensaate for altitudes around 6000 ft. Not for sea level.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default hawkeye upgrades

but it will still give it a performance gain, wont it?

Old 03-27-2008, 01:12 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Default hawkeye upgrades

Negative, in fact it may create a problem. The original fix was to drill 6 3/4" holes in the lid then cover them with duct tape. You then uncover one hole at a time till you find where it performs best.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default hawkeye upgrades

You can also drill the carb slide and that helps a bit with throttle response. THe best thing you can do is trade to an 08 400 HO and save all the heartache and money of modding it to death. I have a Hawkeye and its not very snappy, but it fits the way I ride perfectly, so I am happy with it with the few minor mods I have done. If the 400 HO was air cooled I'd trade my Hawkeye for one, but I tend to clog my radiator in mud quite often on a water cooled machine as I did on my Sportsman 600.

All I have done to my Hawkeye is 25" mudlites, 12g clutch rollers, drilled the carb slide, and rejetted.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:07 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Default hawkeye upgrades

Tennessee, you hit the nail on the head. Everything is a compromise. The thing we seem to share with the Hawkeye is the appreciation of its simplicity and reliability. I really appreciate its handling even tho its down on power.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default hawkeye upgrades

well, my dad is gonna either get one of the new sportsman 300 or 400 soon, but he is cautious about the water cooled. what maintenance and trouble does the water cooled radiator cause you? thanks for the help guys! i plan to do the clutch roller mod maybe this week since its spring break down here.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer
Default hawkeye upgrades

Hey TennesseeTider, (I to have a Hawkeye 300)

Did you have to do any Mod to get the 25" Mud lite tires on the Hawkeye, and after putting on the 12g Clutch Rollers how much top end speed did you lose ?? my bke came with 23" tires and i am looking at getting some mudlite tires when these wear out!! I am also going to put a Uni air filter, DynoJet Ket on and a IDSX Muffler on in hope to get a little more Power & Pep. Any Feed back Thanks !!!

Maddog24

Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Default hawkeye upgrades

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hawkman300

well, my dad is gonna either get one of the new sportsman 300 or 400 soon, but he is cautious about the water cooled. what maintenance and trouble does the water cooled radiator cause you? thanks for the help guys! i plan to do the clutch roller mod maybe this week since its spring break down here.</end quote></div>

Make sure your Dad knows that the new Sportsman 300 is a remake ot the Hawkeye with some frame mods. Most of the liquid cooled models are pretty trouble free, but, more moving parts more potential for problems.

I don't want to be negative, but most of us did exactly what you are doing when we were your age. Do your experimenting on the base model till you've squeezed every bit of Hp out of it and then you've learned something. If you just spend the $$ and get a bigger model, all you've learned is that "if you throw money at it you can go fast."

Make your improvements or mistakes on the Hawkeye. Its pretty forgiving. By the way, you ask some pretty intelligent questions for a young guy.

Cheers.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default hawkeye upgrades

Maddog 24,

I did no mods to fit the 25" mudlites. I had them put on the stock wheels and no problems at all. It rides much better with those tires. I may have lost about 4 mph top end. I hit 50 with the 22" stock tires and the speedo will read 40-42 after the large tires and roller mods, which equates to actually around 45-46 mph. I just bought a Uni and I am waitinng on the oil to arrive before I install it.

Let me know how the DynoJet kit works. I have one and have not installed it yet. Keep me posted.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: hawkeye upgrades