Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 400 strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008 | 10:37 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Scrambler 400 strange noise

I was riding my quad the other day and all of the sudden it made a nasty metal on metal type noise and shutoff but restarted right away. Kept riding it and it shutoff randomly a couple more times and towards the end when I would just give it gas it would make a strange clunk or grinding type noise and pause a little but then be fine. Theres also a rattle but that might be my pipe its a little loose. i'm thinking something clutch related maybe anyone had somethign like this before?

Old 03-30-2008 | 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

something that severe would be able to bee seen if its teh clutch. take off the cover and inspect i don't know what it could be. i would start there. hope it not an internal engine problem.

Old 03-30-2008 | 11:39 PM
|
Range Rover

Yea thats what I initally thought was motor but I guess I'm not positive but I don't think it made the noise when it was in neutral and revving only when it got engaged. I thought maybe the chain was too loose and skipping or something but it doesnt seem real loose.

Old 03-30-2008 | 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

is it a 4x4? if so it could be a cv joint.check the the boots for a tear.might have a rock in between the brake pad and rotor.does it make the sound when in gear idleing?

Old 03-30-2008 | 11:45 PM
Range Rover

Stock piston grenaded and pieces of the skirt went into the exhaust pipe. Just a theory...

Old 03-30-2008 | 11:49 PM
|
Range Rover

Its a 2wd adn thats not a bad theory either...well it is but you may be right. Any real way to check that and would it still run as good as it does? Plus it only does it when you first get on the gas from a stop not while in continuous motion.

Old 03-30-2008 | 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

if it wasn't making the nois in nutral i would think it is the clutch because it won't disengage because something jammed and thats what is stalling the atv and i had clanking noises in my primary clutch it had alot of play but thats dif f eather way you have some big prob the chain wouldn't shut off teh atv and the trans wouldn't eather it could be the primamy clutch or the i would take off the clutch cover first. hope you can rebuild whatever it is preety cheap.

Old 03-30-2008 | 11:55 PM
Range Rover

I agree with sjbr549. Sounds like what happened to my 400L. When I took off my exhaust I found a bunch of aluminum chunks. Check it out though if it is the piston, I caught a chunk on my crank and punched a hole in my case. The piston is relatively cheap to replace the case though....

Old 03-30-2008 | 11:59 PM
|
Range Rover

Yea I hope it doesnt cost me too much because I was in the process of trying to sell it when all of this happened and I'm not the type of guy to just sell it with all the problems without knowing what they are cuz I know if I bought somehting in that condition and it blew up on me and the seller knew about it I'd be pretty mad. I guess I'll pull the cover off tomorrow and hope I can find something. Whats the best way to check if the piston skirt blew, pull exhaust and look in at it or try to find some chunks in the pipe? If its just the skirt a compression test wouldnt do anythign I wouldn't think. If it's too messed up then I might have to end up keeping it.

Old 03-31-2008 | 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

is it a 2stroke? when the skirt breaks off it does'nt want to run or run very poorly boggs spits and sputters.the best way to check the piston is to take the reed valve off.it is on the head behind the carb. there's a boot between the carb and reed valve.when you have the reed valve off pull the pull start rope slowly and watch the piston will move up and down in the space where the reed valve was

Quick Reply: Scrambler 400 strange noise