Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My Sportsman 500 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Sportsman 500 overheating

I have a 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI it seems like everytime I go on a ride I overheat granted it is after going through a fair amount of mud, not a whole lot but a decent amount. I always overheat and seems like no one else even comes close, is this a common issue with the sportsman?? I know that my radiator and fan are getting covered so thats what is happening but it is just annoying having to clean it off alllll the time. any suggestions??

Old 03-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

don't have any direct experience with the 500 but from the threads on here it seems that the location of the rad tends to make all the full sportsmans susceptible to getting plugged up by mud/debris and over heating when mudding or swimming...some have moved their rads and some install rad guards...this has been discussed in length previously and a search may produce some answers

Also read a thread recently discussing the fuel/air mapping for the EFI units that makes them run hot and how the '08 SP 800 has already been changed...Standori may be able to give you some answers on this.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you cleaning the back of the RAD??
This is where it builds-up right behind the fan shroud!!
The best way is to take the front storage rack off and see it!!
It only happened to my wife's Sp 450 one time and I could not even see through that section!!
Hope that helps!!.........You could always get a small 12 volt transfer pump to plug into your Acc outlet but you will need to stop near a stream /lake /river/pond...Etc........I am going to get one this year and place in my rear storage box.......They don't take up much space!!......Caper..........

Old 03-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Neither of my Sportsmans have ever overheated after snow or mud riding.

What happens when yours overheats? Do you get the HOT warning in the LCD display? Is your fan running properly?

You might check into a temperature guage for peace of mind.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It flashes "HOT"..on the display and the Orange Speedo needle flashes too I think!!..........As for the snow it should melt from the hot RAD and should not effect it directly......Unless there is ice/snow built-up on the front screen preventing airflow into it!!...........SEE when the cooling fan comes on it draws air through the rad from the front and directs it back to the drivers feet wheel-wells and motor side........So if the back of the rad is plugged the air will not be getting "SUCKED" in from the front through the RAD.........Caper..........

Old 03-30-2008, 11:19 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

On a trip we did a 700 sp was boiling over when towing a trailer. The ATV looked clean but the hard to see "top half" of the rad had hard baked on mud in it. He cleaned it out and the ATV has been fine.

This was the baked on mud that a garden hose could not clean out.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

jokout-- yea it is definately the location i am constantly getting it clogged with mud and it is either gradual or after one good hole and i am overheating.
caper-- I think i am cleaning the back of the radiator as best as i can see it..i think before i go ride this weekend i am gonna get a pump sprayer to help with cleaning but this
transfer pump idea sounds appealing..it doesnt hold water right?? so your saying periodically I will have to stop to get it to pump and clean it off??
sheepdog-- yea i get the HOT warning on the LCD display I wonder if my fan is running properly it doesnt seem like it kicks on as often as i would think it should, but if mud or
depris gets in there that would prevent it from coming on right?? cause i wonder if that is my problem.

Thank y'all for the help anything else would be helpful too I am also working on a lift and tires so hopefully that will help keep the radiator out of the mud some..it is just getting on my nerves that almost everytime i go riding i overheat and with water restrictions here in NC my ATV park doesnt have the wash stations open.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

caper--do you have any info on a transfer pump install or where to get stuff to get hooked up with??

Old 03-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Three things could happen with the fan.

1. It could turn on but not provide any cooling effect if the radiator is clogged by mud or other debris.

2. It could turn on but not actually spin due to mud or debris jammed in there.

3. It could not be turning on at all due to an electrical issue.

Any one or more of these issues will cause you to overheat.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a problem with mine showing a hot code with a flashing needel. It was a factory recall issue, and was corrected with a trip to the dealer. The machine wasn't running hot, just a bug in the software.

Quick Reply: My Sportsman 500 overheating