Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008 | 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Scrambler brakes

Best thing I ever did for brakes, car, motorcycle, ATV, or otherwise was to build a 2 dollar pressure bleeder. Take a piece of plate steel (I used an old door plate off a commercial door) and drill and tap a 1/4 NPT hole in it. Cut out and glue an old mouse pad to the bottom. Screw a air pressure quick disconnect into the hole and your pressure bleeder is done.

To use it, take the cap off the master cylinder, top it off and put the pressure bleeder on top and secure it with a C-Clamp. Connect your bleeder hose to the valve on the caliper and open it up. Turn the regulator on your air compressor all the way down (VERY IMPORTANT!!) and connect it to the quick disconnect on your bleeder jig. Now slowly turn up the regulator until you begin to see fluid coming out of the bleeder hose (you are using clear hose so you can see air bubbles arn't you?) but don't exceed 10 or 15 PSI. When the master level starts to get low, close the bleeder valve, turn down the regulator, disconnect the hose and add fluid to top it off. Keep going til there are no more air bubbles and the fluid runs clear. Then move to the other caliper.

This jig works WAY better than manual bleeding (don't even need to bench bleed a new car master cylinder) and is a vast improvement on those suction systems which, actually, suck.

I've used it on cars, bikes, and 4 wheelers - everything but an ABS system.

With this jig,