Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'99 Sportsman 500 4WD/Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Sportsman 500 4WD/Electrical Problems

Greetings,

I was hoping that someone in these forums could help me troubleshoot my 1999 Polaris Sportman 500 ATV. It seems that suddenly a number of electrical problems have occurred: the 4wd light doesn't work (neither does the 4wd engage), the speedometer isn't functioning (won't register a speed or lightup), and the odometer isn't working either. However, the reverse and neutral indicator lights are still functioning. Does anyone know what these issues could be caused by? I've started tracing the wires for fuses or fusable links, but haven't stumbled across any yet. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Travis

Old 05-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Trailblazer

I just fixed that exact same bike for the same problem and a new speedometer fixed it. I had been working on it for some time now for an intermitent awd light Apperently if your speedo is out the awd wont work.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the quick reply. I had read something about that solution online just this morning. So just replacing the speedometer assembly will fix both the speedometer problem and the 4WD engagement issues? Is this a pretty simple swap?

Old 05-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

Yes it is a very easy install. Just 5 screws to take the pod apart. Two nuts to remove speedo and two wire connecters on speedo.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just one other question for you guys. Is there any way to ensure that this will correct my issues before purchasing the repalcement parts? I'd hate to buy a new speedometer assembly, just to find out that the problem wasn't correct. Thanks again.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

a bad speedometer will cause your awd not to work.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are getting power to lights, etc - then you should have power to the speedo - providing the power wire (red/white) to the speedo is not broken - easy check by unplugging the connector from the back of the speedo and seeing if you have voltage at the red/white wire with the ignition switch in the ON position. The speedo supplies ground to the AWD system, the speed does not have to register, nor the odometer for that matter, in order for the AWD to work.

You should be able to Ohm the the brown/white wire to frame ground at the connection for the hub coils (with the ignition switch on, AWD button engaged, and gear lever in a forward gear) to determine if the speedo is supplying ground - if not, a new speedo should fix your problem...........

Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Great info about speedo

I am in the same situation, BUT, after exhaustive search and finally a couple emails to parts houses I am being told that the speedometer is no longer being manufactured, and is therefore no longer available. I wonder if there is possibly a speedo for a later model that might be compatible. Otherwise, much as I hate kludges, it looks like I will need to do without the speedo and bypass the ground it supplies by connecting the ground hub wire to chassis ground. Any "gotchas" associated with this kludge?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:30 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If you do a search online with google or on this site there is a bybass trick to get AWD back without buying a $300 Speedo.

Dumbest thing Polaris ever did was making the speedo part of the AWD system.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default great info about speedo

Thanks man! I will have a look. I agree about the speedo AWD connection - as an engineer, I always look for the "logic" in designs or processes. I am failing to see any in this design.

Quick Reply: '99 Sportsman 500 4WD/Electrical Problems