Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08 Sportsman 500 H.O. No electric

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Sportsman 500 H.O. No electric

Well, thanks for the tips guys, so far though nothing yet. I tried pull starting as mentioned, no luck. I took the light pod apart, checking for possible wire damage, no luck. Next took the front cargo carrier off, again no luck. I don't see anything that resembles breakers, relays or fuses. I am wondering if it actually is a problem with the ECM, kill switch, or ignition. Something similar happened a while back, the thing just shut down while running it in my yard, go to start it nothing. About 15 minutes later I go to start it and no problem. Started fine ever since.

note: just to be clear, the 08 has a digital cluster, the only thing analog is the speedo. So when I turn the key to the on position, it should light up even before turning it to start. Posting that just in case the earlier models were all analog or didn't even have a cluster, this is my first machine.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

This is really starting to sound more like jumbofrank's post! Have you checked the battery cables for loose /corroded connections?
It could still be a dead short that tripped the main breaker and is keeping it from resetting...this would be consistent with the intermittent problem in the past where the circuit shorted for an instant tripping the breaker that reset itself a few minutes later
I guess I would check around the engine compartment where there are so many hot/sharp surfaces to chafe a wire

GOOD LUCK! and keep us updated, I'm sure someone will have the answer!

Old 06-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Since my last post I have checked over nearly every wire I can, they all seem perfect. Seems they are all also either covered in wire loom, or a rubber sleeve. I was doing some reaing in the manual and it mentions a breaker under trouble shooting, but it says to reset it. Doesn't mention it resetting automaticly. I think it is going to come down to getting my hands on a service manual and testing each wire, to see what is getting power and what isn't. Can't even order one till tuesday when the local shop opens.

Anyone know where the breaker would be located exactly? on the right side near the strut is my pre wire for a winch, under the high-beam light is a small black box right above the ECM. not sure what that is, if it is the breaker no idea how to reset it.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

this may sound stupid, I havent looked at one in a while but i thought the battery and the breaker were in the front compartment

Old 06-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

My 08 800 has a fuse box under the front rack. Open the front storage compartment and in the center is a rubber panel(it has spare fuses stuck in it) you pull that out and the fuses are right below it.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah yours is EFI, mine still uses a carb. I was told when I bought mine that only the EFI's have a fuse block, which is why they give you the spare fuses, thanks fo the advice though! PS - dont' happen to have a service manual showing wiring diagrams, do you?

Shank, not sure what year is was changed but 08 has the battery under the left rear wheel area, and the solenoid just under the seat.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

True, didn't think about that. According to the wiring diagram there is a fusible link in-line with the main harness. If you can find that it would be worth checking. Unfortunately the digram isn't much help for locating the link. Sometimes they are attached to a post on the starter solenoid.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Corliss

Yeah yours is EFI, mine still uses a carb. I was told when I bought mine that only the EFI's have a fuse block, which is why they give you the spare fuses, thanks fo the advice though! PS - dont' happen to have a service manual showing wiring diagrams, do you?

Shank, not sure what year is was changed but 08 has the battery under the left rear wheel area, and the solenoid just under the seat.</end quote></div>

Old 06-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have a wiring diagram for a 2004.5 500HO. Don't know if it would help? Also the troubleshooting for no-start.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello from a newbie to this forum.I own a 2007 500 HO X2 and
last month I had the same problem with my machine not powering up.

The 500 only has a solid state circuit breaker thats in the power control unit.
The only way to fix this is to replace pcu.

I've not seen the electical diagrams on the 2008 versions but I don't think they changed from the 2007.

My machine was out of warrenty and but I decided to have the local dealer replace the pcu.It cost about $400 total(charged $270 for the pcu).
I've seen the pcu online for $140 .Even though it looks like you could replace the pcu from the front access , the front cab had to be removed to get at it.

I've put about five hours on my machine since the repair.One thing I did notice different was I can't access the diagnostic mode to get blink codes.The bike is running fine so for now I'm not going to mess with it.I am considering purchasing another pcu as back up to put in the tool box , but I'm not sure how practical that would be.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Highoctane, does it mention what the fusable link wire conrols? I have so far not seen it on my machine...I'll keep looking.

It is still under warranty, but I have no way of getting it onto my truck with it not running, so I am hoping to fix it without taking back ot the dealer.

Quick Reply: 08 Sportsman 500 H.O. No electric