Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

winch drained battry??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winch drained battry??????

ok so i have my winch on my 94 400L and i got my 4x4 fixed worked really well for the first half of the day untill i used my winch for the first time.. after pulling myself out... the next time i shut off my wheeler.. it wouldnt start... i had to pull start it the rest of the day... and on top of that my 4x4 quit working also.... and idea on why this would happen or whats goin on... also every thing is hooked up right i have triple checked this...

Old 06-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you check to see how many volts the bikes putting out? rememeber the winch is working directly off the battery and if its used alot it will drain the battery if not run enough. wondering if maybe the winch some how overloaded the charging system and made it so its not charging. chech the batt. volt w/ the bike reved up a little to see what it is. should be mid to high 13 volt if not more but less then 15.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

any idea tho why the 4x4 quit working... the only thing i can think of is that its electric and not being charged enough to engage

Old 06-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto Stendori's reply. Plus I always have the quad running if I use the winch more than a just few seconds. It winches maybe 9% faster and doesn't drain the battery. If the battery is low enough the lights dim and the 4x4 and winch both quit. A 12 V battery is ALWAYS more than 12 V if it's charged and working properly. It takes about 14 V to charge it. I believe the voltages are 12.6 and 13.8-14, give or take a little.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like he did leave the Quad running...............He said the next time he shut the Quad off it would not start..........If the Quad was shut off while he was winching..........It wouldn't have started them....................

It just put a huge amount of drain on the battery(output charge couldn't keep up) ........so with the 4x4 question.....most do need a fully charged battery to work the proper way in AWD...........Caper............

Old 06-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: caperinmuskoka

Sounds like he did leave the Quad running...............He said the next time he shut the Quad off it would not start..........If the Quad was shut off while he was winching..........It wouldn't have started them....................

It just put a huge amount of drain on the battery(output charge couldn't keep up) ........so with the 4x4 question.....most do need a fully charged battery to work the proper way in AWD...........Caper............</end quote></div>

Yeah Caper, I thought he left it running too, by the way it was phrased. Just double checking because I just can't imagine the winch killing a battery while it's running. Not a GOOD battery that is. I don't know how good it has to be for 4x4 but it IS electric. I never ran into that problem because whenever a battery crapped on me I replaced it before I needed 4x4.

Frank

Old 06-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well from what I here on the Forum from riders Plowing snow in the winter(not me)............There battery can drain in a hurry also ............At low idle using the winch the charge output of the Quad will not be enough to keep up with the load demand of the winch being used.......

So yes the battery can be drained by using the winch with the Quad running....Caper.......

Old 06-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

yea on my 500 i rev it a lil while winching rev for 5 seconds winch a lil then stop winching for a few seconds while reving a lil and never have a prob and when i snowplow i use my winch constantly on short driveways for over 2 hours striat drive forwars winch up drive backwards winch down and nerver had it run low and that is on a scrambler with the small battery like what he had but it is farely new.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Moto Psycho

I've been plowing for 10 years without any problem. I've never even owned a manual lift and use the winch for hours at a time plowing the whole neighborhood and sometimes the street too. I also winched a buddy 40 feet up a steep log-covered hill in the winter. I had to use every tow rope and tie-down strap in the group to do it. No problem. If winching uphill in freezing cold doesn't run it down I don't know why anything else would. That's why I just can't imagine the problems you guys are talking about. I'm hoping someone else with plowing and winching experience can shed some light on this. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

I think

#1 The battery is bad. it could need water when mine was our of water in my jet skie it only had 2 volts after a week of sitting i filled with water and trickle charged then drianed then trickle charged then drianed over and over agin 4 times and now it holds 12.6 volts at all times. and i i neeeded to do it drain it is start the jet ski a few times it is a motorcycle battery and it is suposed to start a high compressin 2 cylender 800 cc 2 stroke 15 seconds of cramking and it is dead they use the same engin in the boad and they use a car batery y not in the jet ski theres enough room lol. i also had crappy bateries in teh atvs but not that severe and cought them in time. i bought the jet ski like that. so i couldn't catch it. you can check that by taking teh batery our and pulling the plugs or screws on the top they are plastic. there should be watter covering the medal plates and most bateris have a levle on the outside that the water is suposed to be at.

#2 it is his electircal system that is not charging the batery enough like the voltage regulator on the radiator is bad or something like that

Quick Reply: winch drained battry??????