Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brake fluid level

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008 | 07:21 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Brake fluid level

Just got my 500 x2 yesterday and was reading the maintance section of my manual and I read about checking the brake fluid level. Appearently, you are supposed to look through a circular window on a small box on the left handlebars. The manual says that if the fluid is low, then it will appear clear. If the fluid is at proper level, the window will appear dark.

Well, the quad works just fine but the window looks clear to me. Can anyone send me a pic of what it's supposed to look like? Also, I found the brake fluid add container under the seat. Is this fill for both the hand brake and foot brake or just the foot brake?

If this is the fill for just the foot brake, how do you add brake fluid to the front brakes? I'm not going to do anything unless I know something ain't right. I figure I'm just looking at it wrong.

Also, I was out riding eariler today and noticed that there is a clear hose going to the center counsel in the middle of the handlebars. I noticed that the liquid in the tube rose while I was driving and when shut off, there were air bubbles coming up the liquid. After the machine cooled, there didn't appear to be any liquid in this tube. What is this tube for and what kind of liquid is it? It was on the right side if that helps any. Liquid looked clear whilein the tube.

Quad drove great BTW [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2008 | 07:28 PM
Moto Psycho

I think it works the same as other models. If it does...

To fill the hand brake resevoir on the handlebar, take the screws out and take the cap off. Top off with recomended fluid. I think it's DOT 3 but maybe not. Put the cap on the res and put the screws back in. Tighten them but don't over-tighten them.

The hose may be the gas tank vent. not sure about that either because I don't have an X2.

Old 06-21-2008 | 01:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Jumbofrank is right! Inside resevoir there is a fill line level,dot 3 or dot 4 if you want to flush and upgrade. Bubbling is normal especially with close to a full tank,vent fitting under plastic behind gas cap routed into pod area!

Old 06-21-2008 | 01:31 AM
Moto Psycho

Hey! I got one right!

I thought that you can add DOT 4 to a system that has DOT 3 in it, but not the other way around. Is that completely wrong, or is it just a waste of DOT 4? I'm wondering because I did that with a car years ago and it said on the bottle it's okay.

Old 06-21-2008 | 02:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Yes you can mix,but I usually flush because of a lot of filthy resevoirs! Some old rednecks can't maintain their vehicles! Don't become a mechanic,YOU will ruin a perfectly good hobby!

Old 06-21-2008 | 02:28 AM
Moto Psycho

Thanks OPT.