Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

engine brake system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 02:15 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine brake system?

Oh,never seen a drive belt with the groves running lenghwise. I know polaris also makes a belt with groves on the outside as well as the inside,but I thought that was for the ADC thing or something.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

EBS belts have grooves running all the way around the inside surface, non-EBS belts don't. If you don't have an EBS belt then you don't have EBS.</end quote></div>

My ATV has EBS on it ,sticker and behavior.and it has the smooth outside like a normal sled belt.

Here is a video of EBS Polaris with the smooth belt also.</end quote></div>

The belts are smooth on the <u>outside</u> and have cogs running side to side on the inside. The EBS belts also have tiny grooves cut into them lengthwise all the way around the <u>inside</u> like I said. At about 2:40 in the video you can barely see it. I never counted them but it looks like maybe 8 grooves. The're only about the thickness of a cent, and give the belt a dull grayish color because some of the fibers inside it are exposed and ragged looking. A non-EBS belt doesn't have the grooves cut into it inside, and still looks black instead of dull gray.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sheepdogMSP8117

I think he said inside of the belt. Looks like the grooves are cross ways rather than long ways.</end quote></div>

I did say inside. The <u>cogs</u> go cross ways and the <u>grooves</u> cut right through them all the way around the belt the long way.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:31 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok, I see what you mean now,never notice them before.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Moto Psycho

It's hard to see in the video. It's gray and fuzzy. In real life you can't miss all those grooves if you look on the inner surface of the belt.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i really like how he toques the clutch on w/ the impact lol. there is top groves on some of the ebs belts, or least there was on my 500 when i replaced it years ago. i replaced it w/ a 700 tog cog belt for better cooling.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

i really like how he toques the clutch on w/ the impact lol. there is top groves on some of the ebs belts, or least there was on my 500 when i replaced it years ago. i replaced it w/ a 700 tog cog belt for better cooling.</end quote></div>

Top grooves the long way, or just cogs? I haven't seen any with grooves on the top/outside, but my experience is limited.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:28 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

i really like how he toques the clutch on w/ the impact lol. there is top groves on some of the ebs belts, or least there was on my 500 when i replaced it years ago. i replaced it w/ a 700 tog cog belt for better cooling.</end quote></div>

Ok ,I see the outside cogs are just for better air swirl inside the belt housing? I can change to this type of belt on my SP 500 next belt change.?

Old 06-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Moto Psycho

Yeah, some of aftermarket belts are top cogs too. Where the cogs are there'a lot of "meat" on them, and the the thinner part between the cogs flexes easy. Plus better air circulation IMO.

One good thing about Polaris is cheap prices on belts. I think the last one I priced was around $46 and my buddy's Grizzly belt was $110. Whatever the actual price was, mine was less than half as much as his.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

so a non ebs belt is flat?

Quick Reply: engine brake system?