Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone been in this Position

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2001, 09:51 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made one of my frequent trips to a ATV Dealership. It was actually a Snowmobile display that drawed my attention to going in. We have had a lot of snow this year and I just wanted to look at what they had to offer.

The was a guy inside the Ski-Doo Dealership looking at a replacement sled for teh one he crashed and we started talking sleds. I know very little about them and mostly listened to what he was saying.

Then came the topic of ATVs. So sitting on the floor was a DS650. I said 'Sleds are nice, but quads can be used 4 seasons, whereas sleds you can use 3 months (if your really lucky that is!) of the year around here. HE admitted the previous 3 years he had ridden his old sld about 5 times! So I said ATVs are the best wya to go and he agreed. I said the only draw back is snowmobiles are so much faster. This is where it started. He says they aren't that much slower and proceeded to tell me the DS650 can cruise at 100 mph... I of course said like He*& it can. The 'discussion only got worse from there.

- his Big Bear can easily do 65-70
- there's a New Bomb out that is 'like a 750 or 800', but he wasn't sure which
- He is sure he read the the Rubicon can do 80 mph
- The SP500 is even faster, but the rubber belt is always slipping
- The 2 wheel drive quads are ALL capable of speeds greater than the 4x4s

I, of course, disagreed with all this, but he said 'I know this cause my brother's wife's young fella is really into quads'. I asked him what kind of quad does the young fella own and the guy says 'He doesn't have one, but he used to ride an old dirtbike'

Ignorance is bliss....

SP500 in NS

Old 01-25-2001, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

Been there, ...as recently as today as a matter of fact.

You cannot argue with ignorance, ("it's true, it's true.")

People like that are incorrigible. They actually even believe their own B.S.

Never confuse a person like that with the facts.

Old 01-25-2001, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

Remember in the old days people saying there 1973 Ski-doo TNT Silver Bullets could do 80mph.
Talk to boaters about top speeds,they are the worst exaggerated people.
It sound like the Salesman just started and was working a MacDonalds before then.

Old 01-25-2001, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

You want speed, jump out of an F-14 over Iraq. Hey my 1970 440 TNT Skidoo free-air goes 90 mph, gets 64 miles to the gallon, and doubles as an ice auger when she catches fire...cool.

Old 01-25-2001, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

i think i got it figured out why the guy was saying that, he was refering to kilometers per hour, not miles per hour. so maybee hes right then. LOL
i think u meet our old friend sleder

later
jon

Old 01-25-2001, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

If only he would have added how a 300cc quad could outpull a 4020 John Deere (provided it was a 4x4 quad, of course), I could swear he had an identical twin out here in Nebraska.

Old 01-25-2001, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

I was wondering how he got up to Nova Scotia so fast. He sure does get around.

Old 01-25-2001, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

I had a "salesman" at a dealer tell me i couldn't take a banshee for a ride because the battery was disconnected. When I explained that a Banshee doesn't have a battery he said they also couldn't find the keys. No-one was surprised when they finally went out of business. Apparently some of the "salesmen" where doing "who can do the longest skid" down the center of town and the winner ran into the back of a truck killing himself. It's always terrible to hear when someone dies even when they're doing something stupid but I guess it proves that not everyone belongs on or around machinery.

Old 01-26-2001, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

As we say in my computer company
You Just Can't Fix STUPID

realoldguy

Old 01-26-2001, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Stupid is, as stupid does...

The worst thing is, that even with all of the facts, these people won't admit that they're wrong.
When I was doing alot of Mopar stuff, I couldn't get over all of the people that had 383 and 440 Hemi's in their 1972 station wagons...
The modern hemi was built from 1964 to 1971, in a 426 cubic inch displacement. There were a very few Hemi engined station wagons built in the mid to late 1960's for use in superstock drag racing.
I've had guys tell me that they owned and drove a stock production car would run over 200 MPH... I always check their eye color, and it's usually BROWN...
I may have been born at night, but not LAST NIGHT !!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone been in this Position