Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Deep snow..gotta park it...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2001, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think its time to quit. I tried to do a little trail breaking today, and I found out why they sell snowmobiles. That 2 foot thick snow is just a little to hard on the quad, I mean I can get through it, but at a tire spinning, snails pace in low range. I thought I could do it, but its too hard on my baby. I guess I'll wait until the snow melts a bit. I was all ready, 1000 ice screws in my 27" bi/tri claws, HL lift kit, but you just can't drive through the deep stuff. It already cost me a belt already, I should know better, but if your like me, you always like a challenge. Snow-Trax is supposed to come out with a full set of tracks for a quad, sometime, and this will make the quad a true all year round machine. We'll see....

Old 01-25-2001, 05:52 PM
Range Rover

im not sure how mechanically inclined ya are but how about riggin up a "V" plow on the front of the quid... wouldnt have to be fancy and could be fixed mounted to run say 12 inchs off the ground, just enough to bust thru and peel back the crusted over snow.

Old 01-25-2001, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer

I had that problem too. Record snowfall in Dec.- more than the seasonal average. We had a warm spell for a week or so and now that it's cold again: VOILA! I can ride on TOP of the snow! What a blast!!! Some of the drifts even make liitle mini-jumps. However, if I bust thru I'm in a bit o' trouble...

Old 01-26-2001, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Hey oneeyesquare~
I know exactly what you're talking about! It IS a blast riding on TOP of the snow! It makes all the fields a great dragstrip! Breaking through does cause a little trouble though! A couple days ago I was riding along about 30 and I decided to try jumping a drift. Well, front end dug ino the face of the drift and I went flying right over the handlebars! It was the most exciting ride I've been on in a long time and it didn't hurt the machine at all! Hey, I'm only 19...Anything is fun to me!

Old 01-26-2001, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

The Bi & Tri-Claws are more of a flotation tire and perform poorly in the snow. I had a sent on the rear of an atv once. The work very well in mud-floation conditons, but are crummy in the snow. A narrower tire with deeper lugs goes thru the snow to get traction on the bottom. I've found the M-R's to be really excellent in really deep snow conditions. I've taken chances where others would not think about going in the snow with stock tires. In fact, several riders depend on me to break the trail's they can run on their 450ES's and Rubicon's. Ground clearance and big tires is not really a factor here. They are the worst thing you can run in the winter. Just don't try it with a plow attachment bracket on the bottom of your frame. The clearance is very poor unless the plow is down.

Old 01-26-2001, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

I agree Jack, and there is no reason why I should be out there trying to forge my way through 2 feet of snow anyways. Of course, its everywhere around me, so, heck, lets try it!!! It has taken me a lot of expensive repairs and down time to realize that I don't own a universally adaptable machine that can go anywhere and do anything. As much as I would like one to, I don't think technology today will solve my enduring search for the perfect for everything machine. Oh, I am sure that one day we will be floating around in our hover vehicles, defying gravity, and all ground conditions, but I am sure that will not occur in my lifetime. Hope atvconnection is around in 100 years or so, so that my post can be brought up in somebody's high school techno-oldies project....see.... that guy knew and was smart for buying a Polaris.