Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris life

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris life

I am writing out to see what everyones thoughts were on how long polaris atvs will last if taken care of. I am wondering on how long these engines last until you have to rebuild or if yall recomend a scheduled time. I see alot of older atvs still out on the trails but most are Hondas. I hope I didn't just make some of you mad by saying that but I would like to know if the polaris atvs will last just as long. I don't know if I need to replace seals or even when to replace them as if they were a routine maintanance or something. Any info on engine life I would greatly appreciate. I am a firm beleiver in preventive maintainance. I would rather fix it before it gets broke if you know what I mean.(gooroo)

Old 07-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default polaris life

if you did a search on milage, you'll see where a post quite a while ago was done on the milage and there were a few w/ real high milage like 15,000 and above i beleave.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default polaris life

Hondas are generally good machines and last! But we still are servicing some old 425 magnums that are still chugging along after about 14 years! This basically the same as the 500 engine,just reasonable service needed. Not necessary to clean screen at oil tank every time you change oil,but clean at least once a year. A lot of customer I've talked to that service their own DO NOT drain sump! If you dont 8 ozs dirty oil left in engine! I drain every time! Too easy to just drain tank for them,but not good for longevity. Plus do not use thicker viscosity oil! Can starve cam for lubrication and premature wear and failure! I have a few customers that drive them till something breaks and BLAME it on machine,Not their lack of maintenance or pre ride checks. RIDE EM HARD PUT EM UP WET ! Even HONDAS CANT stand up to that forever!

Old 07-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Default polaris life

We have 1000 trouble free miles on our PoPos and counting.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:57 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default polaris life

Our 97 SP 500 has 7,500 miles on it never even adjusted the valves once, but I,m sure its time to be checked.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default polaris life

my friends sportsman has over 8000 and when i had mine it had only 1300 when it **** the bed thats why i got rid of it

Old 07-12-2008, 11:04 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default polaris life

Old 07-13-2008, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default polaris life

I dont see why couldnt last 20-40 years if taken care of, using the correct oil and filters and watching out for rust and any problem that comes along , what some do is when something breaks they ignore it, then something else breaks and it gets ignored, etc etc then they get a dont care attitude and trash it or destroy it buy not taking care of it, i know that my stuff last along time cause i service it.
But to cover the honda quality , the old honda 300 fourtrax i had is 20 years old and its still runnning, but the reason you see so many old hondas is that they were selling millions of them in the 70s and 80s. Judging the quality of my polaris 500 it will last me 20 years, the quality of the Amiercan made Polaris is impressive and strong.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Default polaris life

Well after I forked out the dough I did, I hope to get high mileage and alot of years. I agree
with all of the posters, how you maintain them, ride'm etc.

You go RP! Hear Here "the quality of the Amiercan made Polaris is impressive and strong"
(Some Canadian too, LOL)

R'

Old 07-13-2008, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default polaris life

Oh man i didnt think, since we are a fairly close Polaris brotherhood I forgot about us being a Canadian/American forum, i hope i didnt offend anyone buy just saying American.

Quick Reply: polaris life