Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ECM falling off...Twice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM falling off...Twice!

Has anyone had problems with their ecm falling off of it's bracket and hanging by it's wires? When we brought our bikes home mine had a bad rattling as if something where loose,well I finally traced it to the ecm hanging by one screw. No big deal right, things happen and I didn't think much of it until tonight. I was cleaning the wife's bike and found her ecm hanging by it's wires resting against the radiator! Twice in a row is not just "crap happens"! I called my dealership and let them know and he wanted to know if I'd brought them in for their first service. Well they are just now reaching the 10 hr mark so I told him no and he said I should so they could check them both over. Well they want 160 bucks a piece to do their first service and as I told him if they go over them as well on the first service as they do before they leave then I'd rather they don't touch my quads. I also brought to their attention the right rear wheel was about to fall off because they failed to tighten it down when they done the wheel swap! I don't expect anything for free but I kinda feel like he could have offered some kind of discount due to my trouble and for the simple fact we bought TWO new bikes at the same time. When I told him I'd do the first service myself he said it was a bad idea because I wouldn't be able to check the bike over like they can......Well when I asked what the first service included his answer was "oil,filter,and some other stuff"! I'm thinking I'll be the only one to touch these bikes because nobody loves 'em like I do. Sorry for the rant, everybody check those ecm's!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a first service is an oil change and topping off of all fluids and not a complete fluid change so imo do it your self. i would put loctite on the bolts/nuts and put them back on.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry I didn't mention that they are screws (torxs head) not bolts and they broke off and not backed off. I'm thinking that they are being over tightened. I agree stendori, I'll do it myself to save money and to know it was done right. I just think it's sad when you ask what a certain service includes and they can't tell you,then want to say 160 dollars please!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hddoperator

Sorry I didn't mention that they are screws (torxs head) not bolts and they broke off and not backed off. I'm thinking that they are being over tightened. I agree stendori, I'll do it myself to save money and to know it was done right. I just think it's sad when you ask what a certain service includes and they can't tell you,then want to say 160 dollars please!</end quote></div>

hence this is why i wouldnt ever pay to have it done. yea i agree they must have overtighten the screws but suprised it didnt strip it out.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Did the bolts break onthe shank or did the head pop off? I haven't looked but if they are the low profile headed Torx bolts, they are worthless IMO,the area of material holding the head on is too small. I've see problems with them in more than one application.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

hey,i just wanted to say,i just bought a 2007 500 x2,new,from a dealer and they told me to bring the bike back after 10 hours for its first service,which was an oil change and to adjust the engine valves.i assumed it was free.but when i asked he said no.its 150.00 i would think after spending 7800 on a quad.the first checkup should be free.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Actually now that you mention it the heads popped off. Doc I thought that the valves got adjusted at 100 hrs.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

the owners manual does say the valves get adjusted at 100 hours.but dealer said at first checkup they do it.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

First service needed 20-25 hrs:change oil and filter,clean prefilter and main air filter,check cv boots, tires,top off coolant,,reset wrench 50 to 100 hrs depending if daily farm/ranch machine or just pleasure. Change oil and filter Twice yearly(2 qts oil is cheap insurance) at least. Pick one month out of the year to do annual service,all fluids changed and valves checked. For what its worth Most 500's I've serviced,valves if any thing are set at a LOOSE .006 from factory and have just had to check during annual service. Even on extreme use machines have only had to adjust a few. BUT check,DON"T take anything for granted! The 500 is my engine of choice! Good luck

Old 07-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

I just wanted to thanks to thank EVERYONE here for all of the replies. OPT a special thanks to you, it's nice to have a knowledgable tech here to chime in with the right answers. This is a great forum, I guess I'm gonna have to become a supporting member![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: ECM falling off...Twice!