Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

4 w/d ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2001, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When jacked up and awd not on, should front wheels be still or moving slowly when motor is reved up. What torque should front hub nut be set to.

Old 01-27-2001, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

Your fronts could still be engaged. There is a section in the manual about disengaging the front hubs, if I'm correct while the unit is on the stand go into reverse and that will disengage the fronts. Either way check your manual to be sure. The torque specs are also in the manual. Hope this helps.

Old 01-27-2001, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Front wheels will spin, but should be free-spinning. You should be able to hold them back with your foot or hand. (be careful) With Wheeler jacked up , set the hub play to where you can barely move the wheel up and down. What is wrong with your machine? Ride'em hard Polcat

Old 01-27-2001, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just got my wheeler back from the shop,I would normaly due the work my self but due to OT and no shop to work in while raining I let someone else change out all the bearings and seals in front the front hubs.Left side doesnt lock in solid it turns about half the speed of the right one,and when awd is off the left side still turns slow while the right side sits still.I put a new coil on left side and it worked before sending out.I was wanting to know what problems would come from a hub nut being overtightened,if it is not freezing rain tomorow I am going to ohm the wires and back the nut off some.Thanks for the help.

Old 01-28-2001, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

The nut should not Be tourqed more then 144"lbs Or 12Foot pounds, When full assembley is complete. Intitial setting is 168"lbs While turning the hub Both forward and Backwards Then Backup the nut 1/2 Turn then retourqe to NO more Then 144"lbs., This is right out of the polaris service manual which i just bought.