Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

gas guage

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas guage

now its two months later and new gas gauge has quit again,dont think i will get another,just poor craftsmanship i guess,oh well ill have to check gas before i ride,

Old 02-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default gas guage

Same thing happened to my wife's 08 Sportsman 300. Here's what I did.

First thing was to take the seat off, remove the two screws from the front side of the fuel tank, removed the cover from the top of the tank.

Next, used a screw driver to GENTLY work the gas gauge out of the tank, go on one side, then the next slowly easing it out. It does come out! Once that was out.

Fished out all parts from the tank. Used a magnet taped to a bent coat hanger to get the metal parts out. The two guide rods and the center float rod.

The float was the toughest, just fished that out with the bent wire hanger also.

Once all the parts were out, I used a good two part epoxy to glue the two rod ends into the top of the gauge. I let that set for a good hour while I cleaned up the wife's ride.

When I went to reassemble the gauge, I applied a small amount of silicone sealer to the outside of the gasket. Insert the gasket FIRST, then line up the gas gauge and install it with the gasket in first. If you try to insert the gauge with the gasket at the same time, it will be almost impossible. Since this fix, we have had no problems.

Don't let the dealer tell you that you will need a whole new tank assembly!

There is also a version of the assembly as a screw in type. I would assume all the steps would apply, just screw it in once fixed.

Good riding!

Old 02-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gas guage

Hey Rigor your not missing anything by not having the electronic fuel gauge. Mines a piece of crap on both quads. They take forever to start dropping and once they do they go quick. When they do start I have about a half tank. I treat the bars like a reserve light. Once they start dropping I know it's time to fill up!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default gas guage

Ask posted earlier, I had this happen on my 400 HO...found out the hard way that my tank/guage was the theaded type and Polaris no longer supplies the threaded type of guage. So yes, I needed a new tank