Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

show me your trailer..

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default show me your trailer..

Thanks guys for all the responses....Anyone have a Polar Sport or Otter trailer???

John

Old 08-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the otter and its a nice set up. I can take the sled off the trailer for ice fishing etc.
http://www.otteroutdoors.com/atvtrailers.htm

Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

I've got one of these.

Harbor Freight flatbed trailer

For the price it is a good trailer. I build some wooden sides for it which can be removed for hauling big stuff. Mine gets an awful lot of work hauling stuff around the farm. I'm planning on buying an electric linear actuator for it so I can dump it with just the flip of a switch.

I have two friends with the same trailer and they've all been pretty pleased with it. One of them built metal sides for it that more or less match the rest of the trailer. The expanded metal mesh is smaller on the sides than the original stuff on the floor. The other friend made his sides and floor out of a metal framework and heavy black polyethylene. The black polyethylene is not only dense and heavy but it is slick and causes stuff to slide out of the bed easier. He uses his for cleaning out stalls in his barn.

The only thing I would change about it is that the expanded metal mesh on the floor is too big. I would have preferred a wider mesh with smaller holes. Also be aware than being as short as it is, it is nearly impossible to back up. That and having no suspension it really bounces good especially with a light load.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:09 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ATV GURU has a trailer with no axle going across, so it has more ground clearance. http://www.atv-guru.com/Off-road%20ATV%20trailer.htm

Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have 2 trailers. The first I've had for awhile. It's a decent 4x8 foot with removable tail, front, and side walls. It will haul about 1200 pounds max and is good for a mid-sized ATV or cruiser style motorcycle. It's also great for hauling rock, junk to the dump, and many other things.

My newest trailer is a real ATV trailer. Built by Echo (central Utah) and sold all over the west. I purchased the 3-place, side-by-side unit that allows you park 3 full sized ATVs across the trailer. With the movable ramps it's an easy drive-on and drive-off system.

As you can tell from the picture you can also front-to-back and a side-by-side along with an ATV.

They make a larger model that carries 4 quads, but it was a little more than I wanted to pay. I paid just over $1600 for the 3-place unit brand new from my Polaris dealer. Being able to ride-on and ride-off is a big improvement over my old system of always having to back off.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:02 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's not much good for towing behind an ATV.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

I use a 4x8 utility trailer with sides and a tail gate. Works great if your trails are wide enough. I had put heavy duty leaf springs under it when I still used it to haul my quad. Floatation tires would help with the mud.
Deerkiller

Old 08-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys for taking time to respond.......I'm gonna keep looking for a bit...You guys have some nice trailers...

John

Old 08-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 4' X 8' trailer frame that I bought from Canadian Tire cost about $450 and had to assemble it. I have since put a treated 3/4" piece of plywood on the bottom and made wooden sides. It pulls good and easy to back up being the 8' length. The axle rating is 1200lbs and can hande a lot than that

Old 08-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

That's not much good for towing behind an ATV.</end quote></div>

oops ... I guess I should read a little closer next time ... yeah ... that one won't work too good behind the ol' ATV.

I actually bought a small utility cart from Harbor Freight when it was on sale. Here's a picture ...

The sheet metal is relatively thin so it's going to get dented from garden shovels, gravel, etc., but overall it's a good cart for hauling loads around the yard and on a small lot. I've got just over 1/2 acre so it's nice being to haul dirt, plants, etc. in a cart like this. I think I paid just over $100 for it and they are regularly around $150.

I've also seen a similar cart at the local C-A-L Ranch and ACE Hardware. I also believe Sears has a similar garden cart for around $150.

Let me also add, for what it's worth, that for me the idea of hauling stuff behind my ATV sounded in my head a lot easier than it is in real life. Even a good sized lot I have tried using my 4x8 trailer for a couple things and it's just not practical when it comes to tight corners, etc. The little 10 cubic foot carts, like that above, are much easier to manager, but you're limited on the amount you can haul.

I used the 4x8 when I cut a tree down in the backyard. I ended up backing the cart up with the ATV rather than try to turn it in such narrow spaces. Even with the Turf Track to unlock the differential it ended up getting the trailer to follow close enough was always a pain. So consider carefully how much space you'll have to move the ATV with cart on back. Sometimes it's just easier to use the old wheel barrel and a little back muscle.

Quick Reply: show me your trailer..