Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Speedo Installation, need help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Installation, need help please

I follow the instructions to install my Speedometer / hour meter / trip meter on the Scrambler 2007 and for some reason (obviously) I don't know it doesn't work. She has power to the unit, everything is plugged in and grounded, but it won't register the speed. I took off the wheel and looked at the sensor, it looks right, I put that cap thing in, then the sensor (which has some really small numbers in the middle of it) and put the bolt back on.

Any ideas on what to check? It's probably something simple or I got a defective one, but I am thinking I missed a step somewhere.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Range Rover

Okay, I meant to say I didn't miss a step, but maybe there is something that I didn't know to do that wasn't in the instructions. So in sum, I have power, it won't register a speed, and I don't think it will register the hours either.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is the speed sensor working?

Old 08-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Range Rover

I don't think so. It only took about 20 mins to take everything off, and the dealer is going to order a new kit and I'm going to swap out the 3 major parts. The two cables (sensor & Speedo) and the Speedo itself. I checked the connections 3 maybe 4 times. The sensor was junk, I think.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

if you hook a meter set on ac to the speed sensor, spin the wheel it should generate voltage.rotor needs notches to work,old style rotors won't work,you can tell me duh, ohnet if you want..........

Old 08-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Range Rover

No Mike, I didn't know that. Thanks. My rotor has notches.

I didn't know how to test it. At the time, earlier today, I did reconnect everything and spin the wheel to see what would happen, and it was still nothing. It's too late, I took it off after I talked to the dealer's parts guy. He also thinks it's a bad sensor.

The whole install / uninstall process was actually fairly easily. Somehow though my sensor wasn't reading what was going on. How do those thing work anyway? The sensor is inside of a metal cap, and I can tell there is some kind of magnetic field on the sensor.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

simply put the speed sensor counts the notches because the space between the rotor breaks the magnetic field starting a count+converts them to revolutions then the #of revolutions+diameter of tire converting to distance covered.this system is also used for abs just calculated differently.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Range Rover

Yea, I'm sure it's a bad sensor now. I'll let you guys know in a couple of days when the new one comes in.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:24 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See Wiki for Hall Effect sensor. I think that's the right kind of sensor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect_sensor

Old 08-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Range Rover

UPDATE: I picked up the new speedo from the dealer on Wednesday and installed it in record time on Friday after work. Everything works like a charm.

1. The dealer never even looked at my receipt, just swapped out with no questions asked. Pretty nice eh?

2. They are easy to install IF THEY WORK when you buy them. I'll update later on the speed.

Quick Reply: Speedo Installation, need help please