Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

325 in the dunes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2001, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys,
I was plannin on taking the boss and the Expedition to Silver lake. I think the boss would need paddles, mayb not tho, also, my buddy's got a recon, how would that thing compare to me in the sand? i ALSO THOUGHT ABOUT THE green spring. would that help me? or hurt me by giving me too much wheelspin? and help!

Old 01-28-2001, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

I am not sure but isn't more wheel spin better in the sand?? Helps you get up the hills. You should have a blast in the sand...I have a blast no matter where I ride...which will be Silver Lake on and around May 12th...

Old 01-28-2001, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

325boss

I plan on taking the boss up to Silver Lake on May 12 with Xplor. I will be running the stock tires. I am running a Uni Filter and I am thinking about modifying the airbox and rejetting if necessary to get a little more power. I may also order a white spring from RCR and install it for this trip. After the trip, I will reinstall the stock one for my wife.

Old 01-29-2001, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

Hey 325boss~
When I think of the sand dunes, I think of high powered 2 strokes blasting up the hills! I'm pretty sure we would all agree that is the total opposite of the 325! Personally, I would be hesitant about buying paddles for the 325. I do not think the machine has enough power to take the full effect of the new tires. When I installed the "green spring" to my 325, it did noticeably raise the engagement point, but performance was not noticeable. I have also tried an AAEN exhaust silencer for the 325 which was a "slip on 10-15 percent power boost". It made the machine louder, but performance was not noticeable. If the 325 was my only machine, I would just leave it stock. To get any substantial power from that engine would cost a good chunk of money! All the little things(clutch spring, K&N filter) might give 1 additional pony on the dyno, but seat in the pants difference is not noticeable. Here's my advice, leave the 325 stock and enjoy the machine for what it is. Apparently there will be 12+ people At Silver Lake and I'm sure not all of them will be on sport machines. Riding fast is always a blast, but even on my scrambler, I enjoy putting through the woods once in a while!

Old 01-29-2001, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer

I bought my son a 325 Trailboss. Put a K&N airfilter and rejetted it. Also readjusted the spring to 2-2, made some difference but not much. If you really want some power you need to talk to Rick Ritter, at Ritter Racing in St. Jacobs Illinois. He can rebore your 325 to a 412, put a pipe on it and reclutch it. Cost is around $1200.00
Now talking to Rick who is 250lbs on a SC400 and his son 125lbs on the 412, says his son can beat him off the line, and in a 100 yrd race, Rick beats him by 2-3 bike lengths. Get his phone number off his website and talk to him, he's very helpful in what to do and try with Polaris. His website in www.rittercycle.com
Hope this helps.

2000 SC500 4x4
2000 325 Trailboss

If your not riding a Polaris your on the wrong machine.

Old 01-29-2001, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

MustGoFaster hit the nail on the head. Even if you don't go for the big bore kit, Rick does have a pipe and silencer for the Boss. Then again, MustGoFaster did miss the nail just a bit, the site is www.rittercycle.com, he just missed that second "C" in the address.

Old 01-29-2001, 03:05 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks Lurch77. As you can see, I fixed my mistake. Thanks for pointing that out for me.

Old 01-30-2001, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

Veteran TBoss 325 rider at the Silver Lake. Well, 4 times anyway!! They are not fast. Let me repeat that " They are not fast... ", but they will get you around at a decent rate. Up all the hills (including "test hill") early in the season: wet, hardpack sand. Up a majority of the hills mid season: loose, churned up sand. Couldn't make test hill though.
I don't think paddles would work well on this quad. Not enough wheelspin or power to do them justice. I just air down the stockers til they're pretty mushy. Next trip I'm going to try switching the tires side to side. Theory being the chevrons running backwards will act as mini-paddles.
Regarding performance mods, I've just finished putting in RCR Stage 1 kit minus the exhaust (too loud). Only pronounced difference I've noticed so far is the ability to do wheelies. Once my wife saw that she informed me she didn't want it installed on hers! The 414 bore out by Rick sounds pretty cool though. Maybe if I'm good me wife will get it for my birthday!

Old 01-30-2001, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

oneeye

Do you plan on coming to the Silver Lake trip in May? I plan on bringing the tboss up and may need someone to ride with that I can keep up with. How much was the RCR stage 1 kit without the pipe. I have a Uni Filter and was considering the airbox mod, rejetting (if necessary) and the white spring. What comes with the RCR kit (besides the K&N filter) that I would be missing? Thanks

Old 01-30-2001, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

Magnum,
The RCR kit minus the pipe was $80 bucks. I have an extra kit that I want to keep the filter out of, leaving the jet (147.5),airbox "bushings" and white spring. If your interested email me.
Haven't made official plans yet for May "Silver Lake Jamboree", but I am starting to lean that way. We are not overly fond of weekend riding there. It' SO busy!! It's also the best time to see all the cool rigs. I'm gonna check with my wife tonight (yeah, I'm whipped!) and see if she's interested. If so I'll check for state park camping reservations. Otherwise I might just come up for the day; it's a short drive. It sounds pretty cool to meet everybody from the forum up there. The riding's not bad either!