Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New here, Need help with AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here, Need help with AWD

I've been reading here for awhile and I can't seem to find a good answer for my AWD/Speedo problems. I have a 06 500X2 and my speedo quit working several months ago. I didn't think anything about it, but now I discover that the AWD won't work without the speedo. I've checked all the connections and still nothing. There has been a few times when the speedo just started working, but then it quits after a little riding. Is there anyway to test and see if I have a speedometer problem, or a sensor problem? I think I read on here that I could ground the brown/white wire and that would bypass the speedo, but I really would like to just fix it right.

I've been doing alot of searches, but just haven't found exactly what the problem is, although several others have experienced it.

Thanks for any help, this is getting frustrating.
Mike

Old 08-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i posted one on the brown/white wire bypass. My speedo was hit or miss and it finally died. It came and went just as you said. I did not find any posts that said the speedo could be fixed as well as my dealer said the same thing. If you really want a speedo, you'll have to come off of anywhere from 150-300 dollars to buy one. If not try the bypass, it is STILL working great for me. Good luck!!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Range Rover

oh, by the way, my speedo damage came from condensation building inside the speedo after washing it.(with a regular garden hose, not a pressure washer). Most of the other guys with this problem was as a result of water getting in and shorting it out. The other small percent was caused by blount force. Flipping, wrecking, etc..

Old 08-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Check for shorts in harness where speedo ties into main harness if speedo goes of and on. Also when speedo goes out check red wire in speedo connector to see if has power. If does then possible speedo problem. Check other posts about what some have done on their ways of bypassing speedo. Not in my line of repair options.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help guys, I'll check for shorts one more time. Some of my Speedo info works, just not the needle and odometer/trip. The LCD still shows tach and the like. Like I said, it just stopped working, but then after a few weeks it would work for awhile, then stop again. I haven't had it working for some time now. I thought it might be the wheel sensor, but I checked it and it looked ok, no loose wires or anything. Should I try and change the wheel sensor and see if that does any good, before I go and spend a chunk of change on a speedo?

I don't have any condensation in the inside of my speedometer, but that doesn't mean that it didn't get water in it I guess.

BTW, anyone know what a wheel sensor costs?

Mike

Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Prices change faster than I change my socks,but I think around 50-60 bucks?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer
Default revived

I don't mean to revive a dead post sorry, but this is for old polaris tech or any others that could share some knowledge... I have a 2001 SP500 RSE and my speedometer doesn't work but I have had the bike apart for a year due to clutch problems and have only had the bike a year. I bought it with the problem being a creeping clutch, well problem solved and parts are on the way but I don't remember if awd was working...Long story short my question is, on the 2001 that does not have a digital speedometer only a digital mileage reader and hour meter, if the speedo doesn't work, will awd work??

Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer

answering my own question NOPE the speedo won't work. >>Fix: provide awd with alternate ground.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Trailboss725
answering my own question NOPE the speedo won't work. >>Fix: provide awd with alternate ground.
Thanks for coming back...and providing the "fix". This should help other folks having the same issue.

biz