Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Alright, convince me!! Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright, convince me!! Please!!!

Thank you to all who have already replied to my post in "buying an ATV"! I have learned a lot on this forum and there are definitely a lot of people on here who know their sh*t. So far, I have narrowed it down to two machines: Suzuki KQ750i or Polaris SP500EFI (possibly 800efi) A little background first: I have been riding since I was a kid(30+yrs), growing up on a 3wheelers to 4wheelers, etc. (started on a Honda ATC90) Anyway, I have been riding a sport quad (04 400EX) for the last several years, but have decided, for various reasons, to evolve to a 4x4 utility. Riding mostly desert and mountain trails (NM), not much work, mainly a toy and some hunting and fishing duties.

I really like the Polaris in general for the better skid plate protection (which would have to be added to the KQ), no reported frame issues, and mainly for the comfortable ride (I have two herniated disks, so the Polaris feels very good comparatively). I like the KingQuad for engine size, and the fact that I don't find many problematic posts on this or various other forums, and secondarily for feel. I don't like the fact that the footwells on the KQ are fairly cheesy in that there is basically no support to make it a floorboard, but rather a basket under the area other than the pegs (although I can fix this and eld in more support to make it a floorboard). I don't necessarily like the single lever braking on the Polaris, being that I am used to seperate brakes and being able to choose, such as having to back down a big sandy hill (I assume the same for a rocky slope), you want only front brakes, or you are going over backwards! Also, the larger Sportsmans seem to have overheating or hot exhaust issues, as well as (from what I have read) engine mount, and other issues, but the 500 seems to be bulletproof.

Overall, based on skidplates, storage, etc., I honestly feel that there is more 'bang for the buck' with the Polaris machines, without having to spend extra money on aftermarket add-ons.

My fear on engine size, is that I am coming off a 400cc sport quad that I honestly feel I was riding to the limit, and was looking at trading for one of the 45- race bred machines, so would I be content with a 500? Are the issues with Polaris's larger engines really all that big of issues?

I really like the look, feel, and history of the SP500. I really like the more sporty nature and larger displacement (hp) of the KQ750.

There is plenty of dealer support (for what it is worth) in my area for either brand, and enough dealers to get a decent deal on either new (playing dealer vs dealer)

I apologize for such a long post (but the more I read and research, the more confused I get), but I really need some more help here, and can think of no better place to find that help. <u> I have sat on and ridden both, and am still undecided</u>. My questions are:
1. Are the big bore Polaris machines as problematic as the forum posts make them out to be? How much of an issue is the overheating and exhaust heat issue?
2. Is the SP500efi enough of a mchine to bridge the gap from a 400cc sport?
And finally
3. Why should I choose Polaris over Suzuki?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

DONT know if this helps,BUT ARTIC CAT uses SUZUKI motors and Have bored out several cylinders for new pistons on some fairly new machines. Premature piston and ring wear,smoking! Just what I'VE SEEN! Some may have better luck! BUT I'M just an OPT!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Well, at the risk of being banned from this forum for life, let's take look at these two machines...
1). Even though both of these are much bigger and heavier UTILITY machines, the King is going to be closer to the sporty nature of your previous rides, it is MUCH lighter, more HP, is easier to flick around tight trails and has a wonderful CVT system to get that power to the ground!
2). With the condition of your back, the Polaris is DEFINATELY going to be MUCH easier on your back! The extra weight has it's advantages, and this is a big one!
3). If you are doing any work at all the Polaris will have clear advantages here.
4). The Sportsman 500 is the top selling ATV model of all time PERIOD! a million of them have rolled off the line and they are still a Polaris top seller!
5). the Sportsman has a TON of enclosed storage! You have no idea how great this is until you have it!
6). the 4x4 system on the Polaris is automatic and you don't have to stop every time you need to "lock" the front dif!
I could go on, but it comes down to what you really want...do you want a dragster that will burn up the trails? The King Quad may suit you better.
Do you want something that will save you back and keep you riding without pain? The Sportsman is the obvious choice!

Also...If I was inclined to want more HP I would have no reservation as to purchasing an SP800! I just feel that it is a bit of overkill for my style of riding!

Good luck in your choice!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

jokout, I hope yo don't get banned in any way, shape or form, because you basically just reitterated most of my own thoughts on the subject at hand. I am, although hoping that I can find a solution, or aleast a partial solution to the back issues, which would take that element out of the equation, but overall, I love the feel of the Sportsman. My biggest reservation here is the fact that I am afraid that I may want more HP down the road and am leary(due to what I have read - maybe some SP800 owners can chime in here) about the maintenance, overheating, and longevity issues of the 800. I know and gather that the 500 is bullit-proof.

OPT, I am closer and closer to a decision and that decision has Polaris written all over it. I only hop that you are not as "old" as you moniker would infer, and that you would be around to answer (as expertly as you have the many other threads I have been following) what questions I may realize if I decide to travel the Polaris route.

Thank you both for the replies and suport! THis forum rocks! Unfortunately, I still have a decision to make, so all input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tinner

Old 08-20-2008, 12:49 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

HOPE to be around as long as my stents DONT move around my heart too much! Hoping to see my Grandaughter grow up! YES I almost LOOK like my moniker,only I have more hair on my head and face!!! "OLD" sometimes is a state of mind! Good luck

Old 08-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

you gould wait for a sportsman xp 550 for the same price with 10 less hp

Old 08-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Range Rover

I have an '06 700, and it does get pretty warm when riding. I usually wear shorts in the summer while on it and I have never gotten burned by it, and no plastic has melted. Although this thing has all the power I will ever need, I am trading it in on an '09 850 XP. If you get the Polaris 500, you will probably want a bigger one before too long. How much are you willing to spend? Mechanically, I have had no problems with this machine except a torn rear boot, which I replaced myself with the help of a few friends in the garage.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Range Rover

Tinner,I own an 800 and I would say the maintanance is no different than the 500.My old 700 had over 5000 miles when I sold it and still ran fine.The twins will throw more heat than a 500 when driving slow.You might want to consider waiting for a 550 XP,they should be showing up at most dealers in the next couple weeks.I talked to a rep last week and he said it will outrun a 700 and will be much more nimble handling than the current sportsmans.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am not going to lie and say that price is not an issue, but in reality, when looking at financing, every extra $1000 is only an additional $20 or less to the payment. That being said, I have discounted the idea of looking at the new XPs, as I doubt one would be able to make the same kind of deal (same level of bargaining as an 08 or left over 07 SP). That being said, the one 08 SP800 I test rode felt like driving a tractor - high revving for the level of acceleration (possibly mis-adjusted belt), the SP500 felt much more nimble and seemed to have better handling and maneuverability. Maybe I should ride a different 800??

My reservations with the bigger bore Sportsmans are only based on the posts that I see here and on other forums. Now, granted, I understand that when reading forums, you only see the negative posts (or the posts from those who are having issues), and am looking for opinions from those who have 800s with lots of miles/hours with no problems. My local Polaris only dealer says that the overheating problems(with the 800s) are mainly due to dealers that do not properly intstall the heat shields during final assembly/prep. I guess I am looking for SP800 owners who primarily use their machines in hot environments, and have not had the 'melting plastics' and other overheating problems.

Thanks

Again, all opinions and insights greatly appreciated!!

Old 08-20-2008, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't buy the Suzuki just because I've seen how they treat customers. A friend of mine that had a King Quad 700 has the reverse go out. It was a known issue and Suzuki redesigned the reverse but they wouldn't pay to fix my friends quad. he also had a problem with dirt getting by the stock air filter which caused the engine to lose compression and start smoking. Again, it was a known factory defect but Suzuki wouldn't fix it.

They are useless when it comes to supporting their product. Once they've got your money they could care less.

He ended up selling it at a really big loss and buying a grizzly.

Quick Reply: Alright, convince me!! Please!!!